Part Two - Chapter Fourteen

Sunday, March 31, 2019

Jack's Note: I fly to Detroit to see Ceci and her movie premiere. As the sun goes down, I pick up our close friend Eileen who is smart, charming, and stunning in black. We drive to the Detroit Institute of Arts.

The Institute is a white marble palace built at the height of Detroit's industrial dominance and houses one of the finest collections of art in the United States. Eileen and I walk into the main entrance and join a lavish celebration reveling throughout the galleries, courtyards, and porticos.

Ceci's movie is a documentary about William Davidson (1922-2009), a billionaire industrialist, owner of the Detroit Pistons, generous philanthropist, and mensch. Hundreds of guests were expected. More than a thousand arrive sparkling in suits, gowns, and Pistons' uniforms. Many of the former world champion Pistons appear in Ceci's movie and they have also flown in for the premiere.

Endless trays of champagne and hors d'oeuvres circulate through the guests. It is all delicious. I am eating and drinking everything I can get my hands on.

At the center of the crowd, surrounded by well-wishers, we find Ceci. Her dress is a midnight-red silk sheath with an open neckline that plunges to her waist. She is heaven, dreams, and beautiful. Seeing her in this dress makes it hard for me to breathe and my vital signs race. Ceci steadies me with a hug and a big smile.

Eileen excuses herself for a moment, and Ceci leads me through the crowd, the museum, and into a courtyard. With guests buzzing around her, we are not able to talk much, but she mentions something about giving me the "low down" later. When the show starts, Ceci is rushed off to go on stage and introduce the movie with Mr. Davidson's son, and NBA All-Star Isiah Thomas.

The movie "Call Me Bill" is a finely-crafted tribute to William Davidson. Warm, funny, heartfelt, and inspirational. The audience loves it. When it ends, we stand cheering, and shouting for more. On our way out, Eileen and I see Ceci briefly. She is a mix of happiness and exhaustion. We wish her well. In the morning, I fly back to Colorado, and Ceci drives to Washington D.C. as part of her son's class trip.

Weeks later, Ceci's movie will headline a film festival to a sold-out crowd that will include the Mayor of Detroit and the Governor of Michigan.

The trailer for "Call Me Bill":

Monday, April 1, 2019

Jack

Congratulations!!

Loved it!

Get some sleep.

❤️

Incidentally, your dress was intoxicating -- I think I could see your belly button.

Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Ceci

❤️

Jack

You're awake?

Are you on a beach?

Ceci

Ha! Awake yes, beach no. Going to the Lincoln memorial today.