Sixty-One

Friday, December 16, 2016

Jack

Bachelor night. 

I'm at The Black Forest, a German restaurant in the mountains run by food saints. 

I walk in and they swing into service from all sides. You feel like Belle in Beauty and the Beast, "🎶 Be Our Guest! Be Our Guest! Be Our Guest!!🎶" 

Plus, since I've represented some of the people who work here, when I order a beer and a steak, they bring me two beers and two steaks.  Then they refuse to let me pay. I actually have to hide cash under the plates because they refuse to bring me a bill. Right now I'm working on my second steak and second beer and the sons of bitches have absolutely no intention of billing me. They won't even show me a menu. Furthermore, the head waiter just presented me with an entire cake, "To take home for breakfast."

But I've got a plan. I'm going to flank the bastards.

I'm stuffing a bunch of cash under the napkin in the bread basket. 

I'm running for my car!

Did it! They're busting out of the front door looking for me. Too late, bitches! The Subaru is burning rubber for home.

Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Jack

Hey Ceci, this new case. Damn!?! My God! As a starting point, it is a life-sentence-to-prison sex assault on a child where my client is the community's most beloved doctor, and the alleged victim is a childhood friend of my daughter. The crime is alleged to have happened 5 years ago when the victim was 15 and my client was 60. 

This morning we went in for the first hearing to decide if her temporary protective order would be made permanent. This would provide me an opportunity to cross examine her. However, the DAs office intervened and had her dismiss her own protective order to deny me a chance to cross examine. The maneuver was employed to protect her, or conceal the truth, or both. So we won the hearing by forfeit and they have delayed her cross, possibly until she testifies at the jury trial. We have been working on this case since we last spoke, and then straight through the night.

So after the hearing, we went to breakfast. I'm still so thin and ragged from the last trial, I even added pie. Apple Pie!

Not photogenic, but delicious.

Friday, December 23, 2016

Jack

Me and the kids are chasing snow storms through Colorado. 

Caught one in Wolf Creek. 14 inches on the mountain and still snowing. The perfect wave! Now driving through the night, north to Crested Butte, known for the steepest run in North America. But that's not the best part. The best part is that Justin is navigator and his friend Ulysses is driving. These two have been buddies since pre-school. They are completely running the show, driving, gas, and music (a lot of rap). I'm laying in the back of the station wagon with pillows and a sleeping bag, like a feeble grandparent. They are chattering on about music, skiing, and "shorties". Warms the heart. 

Saturday, December 24, 2016

Ceci

It's amazing to me that "suddenly" they are grown up. Nice imagery and I hope you soak it up in this trip with the guys. You must be a cool Dad if you're along for the trip!

Spent the last couple of days in Grand Rapids with Andy's mom's side of family. The Moran's, they are a great crew. Home again and time to go into high gear and make the magic happen. 

Merry Christmas to All!!!

Jack

Ceci, make that magic happen you beautiful thing. Merry Christmas to you and all of them dudes in Michigan. 

God bless us, every one!

Ceci

Cheers my friend!!!

Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Jack

Morning Ceci! Saw you and your band onstage in a post. Looking good!!

We are pre-dawn, driving northwest for Steamboat, Jackson Hole (Wyoming), then maybe Idaho, not sure. 

The sky is black, cold, and starry, but there is a rogue storm passing just 300 miles to our north. Justin and his buddy Ulysses are sleeping in the back. I'm riding a jag of anxiety as co-pilot to Ruby as she pushes the Subaru through the mountains like a bandit on a stolen horse. She's also the DJ. I've turned the volume down on her, twice. But her cuts are pretty good. Tame Impala...

(The less I know the better by Tame Impala)

Ceci

Sounds like a wonderful Christmas vacation for everyone. I saw the stars in Idaho a long time ago.

Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Jack

Would you like to see them again? 

Here we are at the Wyoming/Idaho border. 

Woke up in Jackson, Wyoming. On a bus up to Jackson Hole. Very technically challenging mountain. 

A foot of new snow!!

The Bus is amped!

Kids amped!

I'm amped!

Ceci

Beautiful pic.

I can't believe you guys are so adventuresome. It's amazing!

Jack

Ceci?! 

Come on. It's the journey.

And traveling with me is a blast. You know that! Can you imagine traveling with me and not having a good time? Of course not!

Ceci

I know, I get it for sure. You make it fun!

Jack

We all make it fun. Like say you want to see a movie. I'll see anything, as long as we get to go! Somewhere. Anywhere.

You know how dogs get excited to go on a car ride even when they have no idea where they're going? That's me.

[⭐Vote⭐ for driving to faraway places!]

Photos 1-5: Taken and owned by the authors. 2016.