Chapter 8

It was an August afternoon, and Lindsey was finishing up a batch of brownies in the newly opened bakery. Business was slow that day, but she figured she would close early due to it being her birthday.

Remus and Evelyn were at Flourish and Blotts while she worked. Her bakery opened up on the second, and it was now the twelfth. The business had gotten a bit of attention, people who came in always came back for more, To say the least, she was in love with the place.

She was humming when she heard the door open, and voices. Lindsey smiled and fixed her appearance, "I'll be right there!" she chirped.

~w~

Alphard Black decided to take his nephews to Diagon Alley, much to his sister's displeasure. It was Regulus's tenth birthday, so he made the decision to buy the frail boy a cake of his choosing.

" Uncle Alphard, can I get vanilla?" asked his eldest nephew, Sirius. Alphard nodded, "I don't see why not." he answered.

Regulus perked up. " And can I get strawberry?" the boy asked with big blue eyes. Sirius made a face. " Reg! Strawberry's for sissies!" he said, trying to rile his brother up and succeeding.

Regulus's face turned red. " No it isn't," he said firmly. " Sirius," Alphard warned, trying not to laugh. Sirius knew his uncle wasn't mad but apologized for his taunting.

They made it to the bakery, Truelove's Baked Goods, They stepped inside, and the scent was enough to make your mouth water. Alphard heard what sounded like a woman humming, " I'll be right' there!"

A rather stunning woman walked out from the back, normally Alphard would have flirted, but noticed the large ring on her left hand.

" How may I help Y'all?" she asked, Sirius, took this pause as a chance to speak " You talk funny," he said bluntly.

At the same time, Regulus and Alphard whacked Sirius on the back of his head. "OI!," he shouted " What was that for?!" he demanded.

Regulus spoke for Alphard and himself, " It was for being a tactless idiot!" he shouted at his brother. Alphard rubbed his temples, as the two continued shouting at each other.

Instead of the woman throwing them out she gave a tinkling laugh. " Well sugga' I ain't from here," she said, smiling fondly at the boys.

" Where are you from?" asked Regulus. She smiled at the small boy. " Oh, just the southern states," she stated simply.

Alphard smiled slightly. " I knew your accent was familiar," he chuckled " I apologize for my nephew's.. er manners.." he finished giving Sirius a slight glare.

She gave a jolly laugh, throwing her head back slightly. " Oh! It's fine, anyway I'm Lindsey Truelove, owner of this here establishment, now what can I do for Y'all?" she asked. Secretly, the Black brothers found her cheerful nature a breath of fresh air, compared to their mother's cold one.

 " What do you have that's strawberry? I love strawberry. It's my birthday, so do you have a strawberry cake." Regulus asked practically jumping up and down with excitement.

Lindsey nodded her head " Yes sugga', it's your birthday you say? Well, it's mine too!" she said getting out samples of everything strawberry.

" Neat!" Regulus cheered, starting to eat the samples.

Sirius rolled his eyes at his little brother. " Would you like some too, sweetie?" she asked. Sirius frowned at being called 'sweetie' but agreed.