Chapter 31

'That bloody bitch,'

Sirius crumpled up the parchment and hurled it into the common room's fireplace, and with a hard expression watched as it turned to ash.

He had to remind himself he didn't have 'nothing left'. He had the Potters, James, Remus, and Peter. He had a family, it didn't matter if he didn't have any money to his name anymore. He would get a job, maybe as an aurora, the possibilities were endless he just ha to be positive. He had to be okay.

He thought about heading to the library, maybe Evelyn was there?

Sirius stood without looking at the fire and left the common room, making his way down the deserted corridor. Curfew was in about an hour and a half so he didn't need to worry about Filch.

He knew it was going to happen, but he didn't realize how bad it would hurt. Not that he cared for his family in all honesty, but a small, stupid, part of him had hoped that... that maybe they would change.

It was futile of course but he just couldn't help himself. Sirius picked up his pace, he just wanted to see Evelyn.

He enjoyed her company, she was clever, witty, and caring. Being around her made him feel safe from any judgment or expectation. He didn't have to be the flirtatious troublemaker, he could be smart, witty, honest, kind, insightful, deep, and foolish.

He rounded the corner that led to the library and entered, ignoring the glare he received from Madame Pince. He walked towards the tables in the back and felt his lip tug upwards upon seeing a mess of chocolate brown curls hunched over a book.

Sirius couldn't see her face but he already knew her tan complexion was warmed by the candle's light, her neat brows were furrowed in concentration, her manicured thumbnail was placed between her teeth, and her russet eyes moving with every word she read under her breath.

He stepped lightly and touched her shoulder, she jumped and spun around, her eyes wide and mouth open slightly, " Oh Sirius," she said with a smile, " Why aren't you at dinner with everyone else?"

He shrugged, taking a seat beside her," I could ask you the same,"

" I just wasn't hungry, but what's brought you here?"

Sirius opened his mouth and then shut it again, " Would it be weird if I said I wanted to see you?" he asked.

She seemed surprised, " I don't think so, sometimes we just want certain people, but what made you want me?"

He ran a hand through his ebony locks and sighed, " Eh, just felt like it,"

The brunette gave him a flat look, " I don't think you're telling me the truth,"

Sirius shook his head and smiled while looking down at the table before looking, " No, I guess I'm not," he said with a soft expression.

Evelyn felt a flutter in her stomach, this wasn't the first time she had felt that flutter. Every time he looked at her like that she felt like her face was beet red. He was handsome, charming, funny, and everything a teenage girl could want really.

" Why don't you tell me why then," she replied kindly.

Sirius let out a long sigh, " Well, uh... I left this summer, my parents I mean,"

" I'm living with James right now and it's great but... I don't know, I can't help but be upset about the whole thing. I know it's stupid -"

" No it's not," she said, " Sirius, you left your mother and father, the house you grew up in, and your... your brother. You have every right to be upset,"