Chapter 44

Nicole and Sirius being stupid.
Taken by Marlene 1978

January 6, 1978

Regulus found the room or requirement with ease, just like he always did. He surveyed the hall to see if anyone was around- there wasn't. The oak doors appeared and he entered quickly and quietly. Evelyn was sitting on a light yellow sofa in front of the fire, her head facing forward," Hey Regulus." she said softly.

" Hello," he said closing the door behind him.

He walked to the sofa and sat down beside her. They both stared into the fireplace in silence, until Evelyn broke it," Did it hurt?" she whispered.

He nodded slightly, not breaking his stare," Like hell." he replied, completely aware her eyes were on the side of his face.

The air grew more depressed. He leaned back into the sofa and inhaled, it was moments like these he used to cherish and still did. Moments with Evelyn where he could be himself and not pretend. He could give his opinion, joke, laugh, he could be Regulus. She was honest with him, she wasn't guarded she was open. If he needed advice she would try her hardest to deliver.

Regulus couldn't help but be attracted to her. She was beautiful, smart, fun, kind, caring, and just perfect in his eyes, but no matter how much he...he couldn't have her. She was his brother's, and he envied him because of it. He envied Sirius's better looks, his intelligence, his freedom, his bravery, his friends, his ability to not care what others thought, and Evelyn. Did Sirius know how lucky he was?

" Regulus give me your arm," Evelyn said. Hesitantly, the Slytherin gave into her command. Evelyn gradually lifted the sleeve of his white button-up.

Regulus winced, it still hurt from when he got it," Oh Regulus." she whispered, the Dark Mark was tattooed into his skin and it made Evelyn sick. A lone tear fell from her eye and landed on his forearm.

She looked up and cupped his face with her hand," You've gotten so handsome." she choked, smiling fondly, but her eyes were full of unshed tears.

He leaned into her small hand," I remember when I met you...at your mum's bakery." he murmured. Evelyn gave a weak laugh," I remember."

Regulus smile contorted into a frown, " We can't keep meeting like this Ev, they're going to get suspicious, and if they find out you've been talking to me they'll throw you in Azkaban, you'll lose everything."

Brown eyes widened," But I-"

Regulus shook his head," You know it's true Evelyn."

A sob escaped her and he wrapped his arms around her," I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry." she chanted.

Regulus shook his head," I made my choice, and it was the wrong one, but I made it and I need to live up to it." he whispered in her ear.

" I should've b-been there for y-you." she hiccupped. He let go of her and pushed her back gently," You couldn't have been, no one could've. And you need to understand I....I'm part of something terrible and you....." he took a deep breath," I could get you killed Ev, and I can't let that happen."

He stood up and ran and hand through his hair," Goodbye Evelyn." he whispered before walking out of the room, desperate eyes staring after him.

Regulus shut the door behind him and took off running. He didn't know where but he found himself in an abandoned corridor and collapsed. He felt tears escape his eyes, he couldn't deny it anymore.

He was in love.

-

It had been a week since Regulus had told her goodbye, and Evelyn hadn't been doing great. The others noticed her change in mood, but when they asked her about it she waved it off, saying she was stressed because of graduation, or the N.E.W.T.S.