Chapter 12

Days turned to weeks and weeks turned to months and it was soon December. Tests were being thrown at the students left and right as they were all about to be on holiday for two weeks.

This was no problem for Evelyn, when it came to academics she strived to be the best, her only competition was a red-headed Gryffindor by the name of Lily Evans. Evelyn honestly didn't care much for Lily, of course, she was civil to the girl and all but she had come to find Lily a bit snobbish and bossy... and arrogant... and maybe a little bit of a know it all.

She didn't seem to like Evelyn much either, maybe due to the fact that Evelyn usually did better on tests or something, she didn't know for sure. Maybe Lily saw her as some sort of rival, academically that is. Evelyn was guilty of judging Lily's character, but you couldn't really blame her, she hung out with Marlene. Evelyn wasn't stupid, she knew Marlene had probably said some nasty things about her to Lily, but that didn't matter right now if they wanted to be like that then fine, why should she care?

Other than all of that, life was good and school was actually fun. James and his friends would hang out with Evelyn and Nicole on occasion, but not very much. Evelyn had a goal, she wanted to get Hufflepuff as many house points as she could this year and so far she had managed to get 85 in all... well take off 10 because she and Nicole laughed when a potion caused Marlene's hair to turn pink, earning them a glare from Lily.

" Come on Nic, we're going to miss the train!" Evelyn shouted at her friend who was doing some last minute packing. Their roommate Stacey laughed " Well I'll see you two after holiday! Happy Christmas!" she told them before taking her bags and leaving the dorm.

" WHERE IS IT!" Nicole screamed digging through the mounds of junk on the floor.

" Dear God! NICOLE WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING FOR?!" she bellowed.

Nicole ignored her irritated friend and continued her search. " AH HA!" she yelled triumphantly. Nicole held up the biggest spoon Evelyn had ever seen. " My good eating spoon! Anyway let's go!" she yelled grabbing her bags and rushing out the door, Evelyn followed her out.

The two raced down the corridors, bumping into other students as they went, " Sorry!" Evelyn would yell over her should as Nicole ignored the people shouting at them.

" Ev, there's no time to be polite, we gotta hurry!"

Evelyn smiled, Nicole seemed more excited about going to her house than she was, but Evelyn couldn't really blame her. Nicole's parents had practically shunned their only daughter, and when Evelyn told her mother the situation she had immediately agreed to Nicole coming over for Christmas.

The two managed to get a carriage and road to the train station where they saw their pets in their carriers the girls walked over to the cats and apologized before grabbing the cages and going over to board the train.

Bean and Biscuit had gotten along quite well over the few months they've known each other, much like their owners the two became fast companions. The cats always got into mischief, either sneaking into certain common rooms or trying to play with McGonagall while she was patrolling the corridors in cat form. At the moment they were in the carriers waiting for their owners to get on the train.

Nicole was nervous to meet her friend's parents and brother, but also excited. Evelyn had told Nicole about her mother and brother, and their crazy antics. Nicole knew Ev's mother was an amazing cook though. Sometime during late November Mrs. Truelove had gotten a bunch of foods delivered to Ev due to some American holiday, Thanksgiving.

Evelyn rocked back and forth on her heels, excitement had overtaken her as she thought of Christmas with her new friend, as well as the possibility of snow.