Chapter 42

That day Evelyn and Sirius had skipped lunch and the rest of their classes. He held her until she didn't have any more tears to shed and she clung onto him as if he was the only thing keeping her grounded. It had occurred to Sirius that he had never seen Evelyn cry, she was always happy and cheerful. According to her, no one knew but him, no one knew how miserable she really was.

Overwhelmed wasn't the word he would use, no, he was more heartbroken and distressed than anything. He wanted so badly to help but he knew no potion or spell could fix what was broken internally.

This burden she carried with her was unfathomable, constantly feeling like an outsider looking in, never able to touch, but tortured with the ability to see and feel.

She begged him not to say anything to the others, not wanting to alarm them or have them ask questions. He was almost flattered that she trusted in him enough, it was nice to matter so much to someone.

Sirius urged her to at least tell Nicole but she refused, saying the blonde would just end up telling Lindsey. Personally, Sirius didn't see anything wrong with that, he didn't want to imagine what Evelyn would do if things got worse...

He was caught between a rock and a hard place, to say the least.

After classes were over Remus, James and Peter let Nicole into the common room and up to their dorm, where she found a sleeping Evelyn snuggled into Sirius.

" Hey," the blonde whispered, her hair fading to a powdery blue.

Sirius looked up and smiled slightly, " Hey,"

Nicole made her way over to the side of the bed where Evelyn was and brush a curl out of her face, " Is she okay?"

The Gryffindor opened his mouth and then closed it, unsure if he should tell her what Evelyn had said, but he decided against it, wanting to keep his promise, " She said she was, but I don't think so," he added on, managing to maneuver around the truth somewhat.

Nicole sat down on Remus's bed, " What do you mean?"

Sirius ran a hand through his tousled hair, " I just think we should keep an eye on her, and make sure we're there for her," he whispered staring down at her.

Nicole's hair grew darker, " Okay,"

-

" Lily told me she and James have been talking about getting a Dumbledore to have a sort of dance for the seventh years," Marlene said as the group made their way to Honeydukes.

Nicole raised an eyebrow," When?"

Marlene shrugged, "I think they're doing it maybe a day or two before we graduate." Nicole groaned while Evelyn frowned," That means we have to go dress shopping." Nicole moaned," I hate dresses."

Evelyn laughed a little," Well as you know, I like them- especially when you twirl."

The blonde huffed," I'm not ready to adult yet."

The other two girls nodded," Same." they said in unison.

Nicole raised an eyebrow at Evelyn," What're you talking about, Ev, you're good at everything."

Evelyn scoffed," No I'm not!" she argued.

Marlene frowned," Uh actually you kind of are, I mean have you seen your grades."

Evelyn snorted," Well I'm just naturally good at that, and have you seen my room? Merlin, Why do you think when you lot spent the night I didn't let you guys in my room?"