Chapter 10

"HUFFLEPUFF!" the hat boomed.

The Hufflepuff house in question looked rather anxious by the hat's words. So did every other house actually, Evelyn didn't blame them because she was just as confused. McGonagall took off the hat and Evelyn bowed her head and was about to make it to the table, but the hat spoke once more.

" What a peculiar girl, I have a feeling that-," it chuckled again." You know the difference.." it hummed softly, but loud enough for her to hear.

 Anxiety filled Evelyn. " Uhhh what?" she said to the hat. " You know the difference, this time around." it whispered.

 Evelyn shuddered. Did the hat know? She shook the unwanted thought from her head and decided just to go to her table. She turned back to the students to see that all of them were staring, or either whispering to their peers behind their hands.

She sat down beside Nicole who gave her a warm smile and a reassuring pat on the back. People at the table were giving her wary smiles. Evelyn mentally scoffed. As if she, an eleven year old, were some cold blooded murderer ! I mean really!

Albus Dumbledore stood up and began the speak. He spoke of the rules, and dangers. Blah blah blah blah blah...BLAH. " Now.. Tuck In!" he shouted.

 So much food appeared....a good bit she found herself frowning at. Evelyn huffed and grabbed some chicken, mashed potatoes, and peas. Her eyes wondered to the Gryffindor table where James and Remus were. They were to busy stuffing their faces with food to talk. She smiled, and turned to talk to Nicole and the rest of the first years.

!

" Bloody Hell." Sirius Black mumbled in awe as food appeared. He loaded his plate, but his mind wasn't on the food...that much. It was on that Evelyn girl who sent her cat to kill him a few weeks ago.

' Slytherin,' he thought scornfully. ', the house where all my ' relatives ' went.' He glanced over to the curly haired brunette who was talking to a girl with a blo- PURPLE HAIR!

James must have noticed the sudden hair change because he started choking on his pumpkin juice in a rather comical way. Thus causing Sirius to laugh. " What is she?" questioned a rather plump boy, Peter.

 Remus observed the scene and spoke. " She must be a metamorphmagus." Remus stated knowingly. " Neat." James coughed. Sirius sighed, " Hey isn't that Truelove girl your friend?" he asked pointing to the Hufflepuff table. James glanced at Evelyn but quickly looked away, and shrugged.

!

 " So you didn't know you were coming to Hogwarts until a few months ago?" asked Nicole. Evelyn nodded, " Yeah, I thought I was gonna go to the school there, Ilvermorny, until y'know my dreams and heart got shattered." Evelyn said jokingly. 

  Nicole smiled, " Is it really that great?" asked Nicole taking a bite of food. Evelyn shrugged, " Well from what I've heard from my family it's beautiful, and since there's so many people in the U.S it's huge." 

 ", But why did your family leave?" 

 Evelyn looked down at her plate, " Well my dad got a new job, and where I used to live isn't-" She was cut off by a fourth year who came down to their side of the table and asked " Excuse me but are you American?" Evelyn looked up to see a rather awkward looking boy with dirty blonde hair. Evelyn nodded, " Yeah I am! And you are..." she said. The boy blushed a little. " Oh um sorry Frank Longbottom." The name was familiar... she just couldn't put her finger on it.

 The people around her, first and second years, leaned in slightly. " I thought so when I first heard you talk." said Stacey, a fellow first year. Evelyn smiled.