Chapter 41

And So the End of the Beginning

_

It was a chilly October morning, and Evelyn and the others were on their way to Defense Against the Dark Arts. The group chatted about their plans for the Hogsmeade weekend coming up and Evelyn listened, leaning into Sirius as he wrapped an arm around her shoulders.

" Oi, Moony, your back's doing alright, yeah?" he asked out of the blue.

Remus raised a sandy brow at the question but nodded, " Er- yes, why?"

Sirius shrugged, " No reason, just concerned for your welfare is all,"

The werewolf narrowed his eyes, " Sure," was all he said before turning around, continuing his conversation with Peter.

Evelyn looked up with curious eyes to see the eldest black smirk before running at Remus's back and jumping on top of him, " WHAT THE HELL?!" bellowed Remus, startled by the sudden attack.

" C'mon Moony!" urged Sirius, wrapping his arms and legs around the lanky boy," We gotta make it too class!"

After many failed attempts to get Sirius off his back, Remus carried him to the classroom and immediately dumped him on the ground when they arrived. The group broke into a fit of laughter at Sirius's insulted gasp, " That wasn't very courteous, Moony,"

Their teacher, Mr. Ibiolis, rolled his eyes and told them to sit down and find a seat. Evelyn sat with Lily, much to Sirius and James displeasure.

" Okay everyone, now today we will be discussing a topic I have personally been dreading, the unforgivable curses."

The students sat up straighter while a few cast confused glances at each other, " As a some of you may know there are three Unforgivable Curses, and to those of you who do not know- using one of the curses can earn you a one way trip to Azkaban." he cleared his throat," Now can anyone tell me one of the curses?"

Lily raised her hand," Yes, Ms. Evans." Lily looked around," Uh the killing curse." she said quietly.

Evelyn felt a chill roll down her spine as the words left Lily's mouth, but she didn't understand why.

Ibiolis nodded," Yes, anyone else?"

Stacey Bodes put her hand up," The Imperius curse, where the caster has complete control over someone or something."

" Correct, one more."

This time Sirius raised his hand," The Cruciatus Curse, Where the victim is tortured."

" Yes these are the Unforgivable Curses, The killing Curse or ' Avada Kedavra'  kills the victim like that,' he snapped his fingers, the crack echoing off the stone floors and walls."

", There is no potion, spell, or person that can reverse it- once that curse hits you...it's over."

" The Cruciatus Curse, the incantation being 'Crucio', as Mr. Black said- the victim is tortured by unimaginable pain."

" Then we have the Imperius Curse, the least terrible of the curses, ' Imperio' is its incantation, and as Ms. Bodes said- the caster has complete control over the victim." he took a deep breath," The killing curse is the worst of them all, as soon as the spell leaves your wand, your soul is as good as damned."

The students said nothing, all traces of laughter was gone and replaced by the cold realization that life is something that could end in a matter of seconds, even to them.