Chapter 49

August 3rd, 1978

It had been almost two months since they had graduated. Nicole and Evelyn were already training in their respective occupations, Evelyn a healer and Nicole an Auror. The two had moved out and were living together, Nicole and Evelyn had both gotten part-time jobs. Evelyn at the bookstore, and Nicole at a muggle coffee shop. Where everyone liked a little bit of bourbon in their coffee.

Beside the coffee joint, there was a tattoo parlor which after Sirius and Nicole had a few too many bourbon and coffees that were mostly bourbon had both gotten tattoos. Evelyn didn't mind she found them pretty, and Sirius's sexy as hell, they just added to him in her opinion. 

Nicole had been disappearing at least once or twice a week. When Evelyn asked,  Nicole either claimed it was just to clear her head or work out. Evelyn wasn't sure if she completely believed her friend but decided not to press the matter any further unless it became more frequent, besides, she had other things to do with her time.

-

 Nicole had arrived at the meeting, she felt guilty about not telling Evelyn, but she couldn't. She looked around to see her friends, the Prewetts, the Longbottoms, and Alastor Moody. Moody was training her, and he was relentless. She couldn't count the number of times she had busted her ass and received a hollering from the crazy bastard.

Dumbledore began the meeting, talking about new recruits. Nicole felt herself lean in and straighten up. Emmaline Vance, Dorcas Meadows, Benjy Fenwick, Caradoc Dearborn, and Edgar Bones.  Why would they ask them but not Ev? And Benjy Fenwick? Jesus Christ.

Dumbledore was about to end the meeting, but Fabian Prewett spoke up, " Sir, With all of these missions, won't we need potions and antidotes if we're going to be fighting without raising the public's interest?". 

Dumbledore's bushy white browns furrowed," You have a point, Mr. Prewett." 

Nicole smiled.

" What about Evelyn?" she asked. Lily, James, Remus, Marlene, and Peter perked up. Moody frowned," You mean Evelyn Truelove?" he said gruffly.

The metamorphmagus  raised an eyebrow," How do you know about her, sir?" she asked.

 Moody snorted," 'Bout eight years ago, her mother took out four death eaters with one blow! I remember the lass running up to her mum, cryin'."

James nodded," I remember that." 

Moody grunted," If the lass can fight like 'er mum- she should have a spot here."

 Fabian shook his head," But Evelyn told me that she would rather be on the sidelines."

" Then why did Blanton suggest her then?" Moody asked.

 Sirius sighed," Because she's amazing at potions." 

" What's wrong with you Black?" Gideon asked. Sirius shook his head," Nothing."

Nicole narrowed her eyes as Dumbledore cleared his throat," Yes, Horace had told me about Ms. Trueloves excellence in the art of potion-making, and I also remember that amazing tonic and cream she made- and sold." he looked to Nicole with twinkling eyes.

 " Ms. Blanton, if you'd ask Ms. Truelove to accompany you next meeting." Nicole nodded happily.

The older wizard clapped his hand together," This meeting is dismissed."

-

 " Ok, Padfoot- what's up?" James asked when they arrived back at their flat. 

Sirius sighed," Nothing's wrong." 

 James rolled his hazel eyes," Why did you get grumpy when Nicole suggested Evelyn, mate?" he asked again. 

The pureblood huffed," There's nothing wrong." he said, irritation soaking his words.

James gasped," Merlin's beard! You don't want Ev to join!" he shouted accusingly. 

" NO, I just..." Sirius sighed, he was shit at lying. 

The messy haired man scowled," Why wouldn't you want her to join?"

Sirius only crossed his arms, sitting down on the arm of their sofa, his silver eyes looking over at the brick wall.

A smirk crept onto James's face," Oh were you thinking about Evelyn and Fabian-"

" NO! I'm not jealous! I just.....I don't want her to." he finished quietly. James frowned," Ohh...." Sirius nodded.

" You know she can take care of herself Sirius, she's a big girl." James teased.

Sirius rolled his eyes," I know I just..... she shouldn't be involved in any of this." 

" Sirius, Evelyn can hold her own, she's just as capable as you and I." he argued.

 Sirius shook his head," No- she's too soft, she's too fragile, too delicate-"

James scoffed," Are you talking about the girl who called us out on our shit Pads!?" S

" I know that! But she's just so Evelyn! She doesn't belong out on a battlefield!" 

James's face darkened," ARE YOU MENTAL!? WHAT'S YOUR PROBLEM? EVELYN CAN DO JUST AS MUCH AS ANYONE IN THE ORDER, WHY ARE YOU SO AGAINST HER JOINING?!"

Sirius's silver eyes turned molten," I DIDN'T SAY THAT!" James's jaw dropped," YOU JUST FUCKING DID!"

" WELL IT'S NOT BECAUSE OF THAT-"

" THAN WHAT IS IT THEN?! AFRAID SHE'LL SHOW YOU UP?!"

" WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?! IT'S NOT THAT!"

" THAN WHAT IS IT?! YOU SAID YOU KNEW SHE CAN HOLD HER OWN!"

" IT'S JUST-"

" WHAT?!"

" I JUST-"

" C'MON ANSWER!"

" I LOVE HER! AND I DON'T WANT HER FIGHTING ANY OF MY FUCKED UP FAMILY!" Sirius bellowed. James's mouth parted slightly, finally understanding. Sirius was panting, and his hair shielded his face.

" I'm in love with her," he whispered, " And I'm so scared of losing her,"

-

 " That's where you've been going!" Evelyn shouted. Nicole winced slightly," Yes, that's where I've been, and tonight you're coming with me."

 Evelyn frowned, and crossed her arms," Why?" Nicole rolled her eyes," Well it's so we can all sit down and have a nice cuppa and a few crumpets while we're at it- It's to recruit you obviously!"

Evelyn's mouth made an ' O ' shape," Uh I don't really-."The blonde held up a hand," Not for fighting, but for supplying." Nicole smiled," You see what I did there." she said wiggling her eyebrows.

Evelyn shook her head," Aren't you a clever little shit." 

Nicole laughed," We need you make potions and stuff, because if we buy too many, people will get suspicious, and it would be hard to explain why there are twenty people coming into St.Mungo's bloodied and beaten." she explained nonchalantly.

The brunette sighed through her nose, Nicole was right, things were getting serious. And if this was a way she could help, she'd do it. Even if that meant she could die.