Chapter 7 -Memories-

I looked around. No Alice to be seen. I could only spot Edward and Bella with Renesmee finding some toys for the journey. I sighed contentedly and looked through some clothes on my own. Carlisle was looking somewhere else, so I walked through the aisles and found some nice skirts and blouses. After some time I just scanned through the racks absentmindedly, worrying where Carlisle might be.

Suddenly I looked around me and saw baby clothes everywhere. I must have turned the wrong way. I looked at all the cute bodies and rompers. Everything was mostly in baby blue, pink and light yellow. I saw one romper in particular. It was a light blue one, with a teddy bear on it, simple but beautiful. I took it from the rack and held it in both hands. All of sudden I heard a baby crying. I swirled around and saw a young woman rocking a small baby in her arms. She noticed my glance and smiled at me. I smiled back and watched the baby boy sucking contentedly on his pacifier. “He’s a beautiful baby,” I said to her, smiling. “Thank you, he is still a little cranky, though. He had a light pneumonia and I have to buy some new pacifiers for him, he didn’t like them before.” I only smiled. The woman took some pacifiers and went to the next aisle. “Have a nice day,” she said kindly.

I nodded, but couldn’t answer her. I sank to the floor, the romper still in my hands. I just sat there, sobbing. My little baby! He was so young, he didn’t deserve to die. He had a romper similar to this one. I made it for him days before he was born. He looked so adorable in it. It was the only time I could hold and watch him. They carried him away from me only days later in this outfit, because he died of pneumonia. He could have lived like the other baby! I couldn’t stop sobbing, I was thankful that no one saw me like this, until Carlisle came.

 “Esme!” he exclaimed worried,” what is wrong?” He sat next to me on the floor and watched me intently, but I couldn’t answer him. My voice was nowhere to be found. I couldn’t even look at him. My eyes were focused on the little rompers in my hands. He must have talked to me, but I couldn’t listen, it was like I was in shock. Suddenly I felt him lifting me up in my arms and putting the rompers away. I couldn’t even protest. I only vaguely noticed the people staring at me and Carlisle. My eyes closed after a moment and I didn’t want to open them ever again.

After some minutes I felt the light breeze on my exposed skin, so we must be outside. Carlisle was still talking to me, but even if I tried I couldn’t concentrate. The image of my little baby in his rompers was engraved in my thoughts.

-All rights belong to Stephenie Meyer-