Chapter 32 -Fear-

Then the pain came...

It first felt like nudging but soon it turned into stabbing in my stomach. I cried out in pain and put my hands on it when I sank to the floor of the balcony. Carlisle came flying into the room franticly and crouched next to me. “Esme, what is wrong? Are you in pain?” Shock erased every trace of calmness in his voice. I tried to stand up but that brought a new round of pain on. “The baby…Is something wrong with the baby?” I asked him. He looked worried, but didn’t answer me. He gently lifted me into his arms and carried me over to the bed. “Edward!” Carlisle shouted.

He was there in a second and they had a silent conversation as he was going away only seconds later. My face contorted in pain with another wave of stabbing. I felt the tears coming with the overpowering fear for my baby. Have I done something wrong?

I lay there in Carlisle’s arms crying for a long time before a woman walked inside. “Dr. Cullen, Mrs. Cullen,” she greeted us and asked me what happened. Then she examined me and asked for a private conversation with Carlisle. I still could hear every word. “Dr. Cullen, I asked you for a private talk because there might be bad news. The entire symptoms hint to a miscarriage, yet the baby’s heartbeat is steady and strong. I cannot explain it but it seems like your wife’s womb is too slowly progressing for the fetus. I never had such a case. It rather seems like she is in her 4th month rather than in the beginning of her 3rd. I really have no explanation for that. She should definitely relax and shouldn’t move so much.”

I was crying endless tears now. A miscarriage? I can’t lose this child, everyone’s so happy. It was mine and Carlisle’s dream to have an own child and so near to its fulfillment I might lose it.

So, how do you like the story so far? ;)

-All rights belong to Stephenie Meyer-