Chapter 40 -It's Time-

A week later I’ve grown even huger, if that is possible! Carlisle measured my abdominal girth every day now; I could be due any minute now. I was sitting on the coach downstairs. My family rather wanted me in bed but I needed some time alone and I liked this spot so much. From here I could see the garden so clearly with the flower beds I’ve abandoned, but Alice and Bella took care of them for me. I sighed and sipped on my herbal tea. I couldn’t wait to have my little baby. “Esme, do you need anything?” Alice shouted from the foyer. “No, thank you,” I called back. “Okay, Rose and I will go and buy some stuff for the nursery, we will be back in a few hours,” Alice explained. “Okay, have fun,” I told them.

I got up from my seat to put the cup away. As I was standing in the kitchen, I felt a sharp pain and water flowed down my legs. “Carlisle!” I screamed in panic. “Yes?” he was there in the blink of an eye. I haven’t even seen him. “My water broke,” I stumbled. “Okay, then… are you ready?” “Do I have a choice?” I half smiled. He smiled weakly back and carried me very carefully up to our bedroom. “Edward, Jasper?” Carlisle called as he laid me on the bed. “Edward, could you assist me? And Jasper could you call the girls?” “Yes,” both answered and hurried of.

Seconds later Edward returned with medical equipment and cloths. The pain came in waves now that came closer to each other by the minute. Carlisle made me ready and Edward told me how to breathe. “Soon you will have to push, my love,” Carlisle told me. I nodded weakly. I had to admit that I was really scared for what would come now. “Did we miss something?” Alice asked hectically. “Well…” I said between breathing and managed to sound sarcastically. “Could we…maybe… stay?” Rose asked timidly. I looked at Carlisle and he looked at me questioningly. I nodded to them. They smiled like Cheshire cats and sat next to me to hold my hand. Carlisle was on my right to help me breathe and held my hand as well. “Now push!” Edward told me calmly.

An hour later our daughter was born. The birth was exhausting, but everything else vanished as soon as Edward showed me my baby. She cried in his arms and Carlisle got to his side to check her up. Two minutes later Carlisle cradled our daughter in his arms. She was wrapped in a pink blanket and wore a hat. He walked to my side and showed me her face with the most loving smile.

I yearned to have her in my arms and as if on cue Carlisle handed me our daughter. He kissed me and sat at my side to watch our baby. I softly cradled her and watched her. She didn’t cry and it seemed as if she observed everything around her. I cooed and kissed her forehead softly. Carlisle stroked her cheek with his finger and stroked her little hands. She grabbed his finger and he smiled at her with such love. Our daughter couldn’t have a better father, I thought as I saw them together.

“Can I see her?” Rose asked. I smiled and held her so that Alice and Rose could see her, too. “Oh, she is so adorable,” they both cooed. “Yes, she is,” Edward said and watched her, too. I smiled at everyone and kissed my husband before my entire concentration was focused on my daughter. She gurgled and her tiny face twisted when she began to cry. I panicked a bit but Carlisle was already there with a milk bottle in his hand. “She’s probably hungry,” he said and handed it to me. I gave it to her and she sucked contentedly. I smiled down at her and then looked at Carlisle.

Carlisle's and Esme's little miracle is finally here!

-All rights belong to Stephenie Meyer-