Chapter 12 -Fragile-

The night was quite interesting as well. Carlisle was on the phone with Edward to check on the others, so I decided to use his distraction to wear my second special outfit I’ve chosen. The white corsage set perfectly and my skin colour now fitted well. To surprise him I wore my night gown over it and quietly sat on the sofa next to where Carlisle stood. He acknowledged me with a smile and was currently speaking to Alice about me apparently. She hasn’t seen this, but since the breakdown she couldn’t see me anyway. I wondered why, but nothing bad has happened to me so far, so I didn’t worry too much.

After what seemed like an eternity, but were really 20 minutes, Carlisle ended the phone call and sat next to me. He told me about everyone and everything seems to be fine. They decided to take off right after school in nearly two weeks when we were back to New York.

We talked some more and eventually decided to go to bed. I didn’t want to admit it, but I was tired enough to sleep the whole day through. Still I haven’t forgotten my outfit; with a timid smile, I put my night gown away and watched Carlisle’s reaction. Once again his eyes nearly popped out, but something was different. It seemed like he wanted to have me, yet at the same time tried to restrain himself. “Is something wrong?” I asked hurt. He didn’t look at me, when he said:”Esme, don’t.” I couldn’t stop my reaction, as I was seriously hurt. I couldn’t move just stood there, trembling and tears ran down my face. I took my night gown and covered myself. I cried and sobbed uncontrollably, when Carlisle was at my side in a second. Shock and anger clearly on his face, “Esme, I didn’t want to hurt you. I was stupid, I shouldn’t have said that. But I can’t do this right now.” He really looked devastated, but that didn’t soothe me. “Why…not?” I choked out. “Please stop crying. It has nothing to do with you. You are beautiful; there is no woman more beautiful and gorgeous than you. But I don’t want to hurt you.”

He embraced me and moved my chin up with his index finger. “You are fragile now, not as fragile as a normal human, but still. I could hurt you so easily. And I don’t want to take chances with the one person I couldn’t live without.” I cried even harder and clutched myself against his chest fiercely. My hands were around his neck and I didn’t want to let go. After a moment he moved us to the bed and sat down with me in his lap. He kissed me several times on my forehead and cheek and rocked me soothingly.

I must have fallen asleep in his arms; because when I woke up I wore my normal pajamas and was tucked neatly under the bed covers. I sighed and rolled to the side to Carlisle. With horror I noticed that he wasn’t here. I got up panicky and ran into the living room. Sure enough, there he stood with a huge bouquet of red roses in his hands. Behind him I could see the table covered with my so far favorite food; there were even strawberries with chocolate and champagne. I walked to him with a normal pace and took the flowers from him. They were beautiful and smelled even better. I laid them on a chair and embraced Carlisle dearly. “I’m so sorry for my reaction yester…,” he began, but I silenced him with a passionate kiss. “I understand you now, but I’m not as fragile as you think, you’ll see,” I winked at him and led him back into the bedroom. He tried to protest, but he got weaker with every kiss and touch…

-All rights belong to Stephenie Meyer-