Chapter 22 -A Beautiful Surprise-

I woke up a little bit startled. I sat up straight and noticed that no one was in the bedroom. I got up from the bed, yawning and shuffled to the next room. My hand was placed instinctively on my stomach and I couldn’t help smiling. I opened the door and gasped. The supposed small living room was filled with light pink and blue balloons and white ribbon. The table was filled with crystal vases with white roses and lilies and right next to it lay a small present. I walked over to the table, mesmerized by the sheer beautiful decoration. I opened the little package and found the exact light blue stomper with a teddy bear on it; the only difference was the gracefully knitted words baby Cullen under the teddy. Tears overtook me and I held the stomper to my heart. It was the most beautiful present I could have gotten. I turned around to look for Carlisle, but somehow he already stood behind me pulling me into a tender hug. I lay my head on his chest and sighed.

“You are so beautiful,” he mused. I looked up to him and gave him a kiss. “Esme, you gave me everything I could have hoped for and now you give me even more. I love you so much.” I cried again and embraced him dearly. “I love you, too,” I told him.

But one thought crushed my happiness at that moment and I felt deep sadness. He saw my change and looked at me concerned. “What… what if there is anything wrong with the baby or I might hurt it?” I admitted. “I already arranged an appointment for you today at the doctor’s, if that is okay with you, of course. And nothing would ever change the way I love you, Esme, so fret not.” I nodded and took his hand into mine. “Okay, what about we let you eat and then we see the doctor, if you want me there?” “Of course I want you there. You are my husband and the father of this child.” He smiled happily and stroked my stomach once.

Please vote! :)

-All rights belong to Stephenie Meyer-