Jace and Kate

Chapter One

Katelynn

The wind whipped through my long blond hair as I drove down the busy streets of California. Anne Hathaway was jogging down the sidewalk as Tom Cruise sped past me in his yellow Corvette.

I reached over and turned up my music, blasting The Wanted's "Glad You Came."

'I'm glad I came, too.' I thought.

"Katelynn?"

I turned my head to see George Clooney in my passenger seat. I smiled at him and his gorgeous face revealed a smile that was to die for.

"Katelynn!"

I jumped in my seat as my surroundings changed. I was back at the office and it was just another boring day. I couldn't believe this was what my life had come to. Me sitting here at a boring desk, at a boring job, doing boring things.

"Now Katelynn, I know that you are going on Vacation in a short period of time but please keep your mind on the tasks at hand. I don't need my best columnist writing crap advice." A large man with a balding head and a Hitler looking mustache, who was sweating, said as he stood next to my desk.

"Thanks Jeff, I think." Not sure if it was a compliment or not.

"Thank you. Now please continue." he nodded, then swiveled on the carpet and started hobbling away, but not before he got one last little bit in. "With your work, Ms. Katelynn. Dilly Dallying is for procrastinators, of whom I know you are not."

I breathed a sigh of relief and spun around in my chair back to the black computer screen in front of me. I wiggled the mouse a little and the computer hummed back to life. A bright white screen shown in front of me. The typing cursor at the top left corner of the screen waiting to come of some sort of use. I hadn't written anything yet. I looked back down at the letter by my keyboard. The letter sent in by one of my many readers.

Thankfully this is the last day of this 'Dear Abby' stuff until I get back from my two week vacation. The vacation that I will never forget. The vacation destination: the big LA baby! I will drive around in a nice black Mustang GT convertible. The wind in my hair, the sun filtering through the tall palm trees. Going clubbing at night. Meeting the upcoming stars when I go to Naomi's job for a little while to check it out. Maybe have a fling with some hot, tan, surfer guy. Walking down Rodeo Drive. Shopping with no regrets. I have been saving for this trip for five years. And I'm excited to put Manhattan behind me. For a little while anyway.

None the less, I reread it.

'Dear Abby,

I am in a relationship where my boyfriend wants to keep our relationship under wraps because he isn't allowed to have a relationship in his line of work.  At first I was fine with it but I have been wanting to tell my friends and my parents the truth when I say that I'm going to go out for the night. I feel really bad for lying to them and whenever I tell him, he just blows me off or changes the subject, saying that work still wont permit him to have a relationship. What should I do?

In Shadow,

Jennifer L., Wisconsin'

I put the letter down and looked back up at the still glaringly blank screen of the computer. I placed my fingers in their designated spots on the keyboard and sat there trying to think of things to write. What was I supposed to say to her that would help? Half the time I just made something up. I didn't know what to tell them. I was only twenty- five, my experiences were limited.

I sat there for two hours, trying to think of what I could write, while struggling to keep my mind on topic. I had to reread the letter a thousand times because I kept getting distracted.

By the end of the day I had a solid:

'Dear Jennifer L. of Cheese Central,'

Needless to say, I had nothing. But it wasn't my problem any more. My work day was over. I was now officially on vacation.

I packed up my bag and walked out of my office area. I walked down the stairs of the building onto the busy streets of Fourth and Main. I hailed a taxi and was barreling down the streets to my apartment building in a matter of minutes.

I told the driver to wait on the side of the street for me when we finally pulled up to my address.

"I'll only be a minute." I said as I slid out of the car.

"Take as long as you want. Your meter is still running." he warned through the window.

I jogged up the steps and quickly unlocked the door. I stepped through the hallway and into my bedroom where my suitcase was standing. I looked around my room once more.

It was dim since the blinds were closed. I looked at my lavender colored walls and the flat screen t.v. that was sitting on the white dresser. I looked at my bed which was made, with pillows lined up against the white headboard.

For a college graduation present from my parents, they got me a $2,000 gift card to IKEA. I looked up at the white chandelier with jewels and candle shaped light bulbs that I got for a steal at the price of $70. I was able to redecorate my whole condo $500 under budget.

I shook my head and grabbed the handle of my suitcase. I walked over to my front door, taking one last glance around before walking out and locking the door behind me. I carried the suitcase to the taxi that was waiting with the trunk popped open.

I hefted the case inside and slammed the hatch closed before I scrambled into the backseat of the taxi. Next stop was the JFK airport to catch my flight to LAX.