VIII

(This is a bit sad and so heads up.)

School.

I got to go to school.

Yeah sure I might be a smart student, but by no means should that imply that I don't dislike school. Because if anything, I do.

I sit in the car, Maven driving me to school.

I stare out the window, looking at the blur of houses as we drive by them, my body in the car but my mid wandering off into its own world. I can't shake off that negative feeling from last night when Dexter was here.

"You good?" Maven asks me.

"Pardon?" I ask, in sure of what he said due to my lack of attention.

"I asked you if your okay." He says. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah," I reply. "just thinking."

"About...?" He trails the sentence.

I try and lighten the mood. "Do you really wish to know everything that goes on in my head?" I joke.

Maven snorts. "I got better things to do."

"Of course you do." I scoff.

We bicker, fighting with each other the whole ride until he pulls up to the school.

"Ugh, finally, I can be rid of this burden." I says.

"Stupid." I say before getting out of the car.

"Idiot." I hear him say as I close the door.

His car then drives off.

I shake my head and curse at him under my breath. Times like this I really just want to damage that beautiful face of his.

I walk through the parking lot and to the freeway now entrance of the school, trying to act invisible as I walk past all the "popular" kids and their "popular" gangs.

Just as I'm about to walk through the front doors of the school I catch a glimpse of a certain someone who seems engrossed in a conversation with a beautiful blonde girl with deep hazels eyes that look as though you can see the universe in them, and a perfectly curvy figure. I make eye contact with him and instead of calls by me over or walking up to me like he usually does, Dexter simply gives me a wave and a bright smile. The blonde girl also turns her attention to me and gives me a small smile even though I don't know her.

I return the gesture and give both of them a forced small smile and wave at Dexter before going inside.

I take a deep breath and stare at the ground the moment the door shuts and I'm inside the school. What is happening to me? He was busy, that's what he didn't approach me, yet why do I feel rejected?

I feel my heart clench and a lump in my throat. It is like I'm suffocating, something squeezing you chest causing my breathing to become heavy. I know what happening. My eyes begin to become heavy, not because I am sleepy, but because they are filling with tears. Damn me. I hate how emotional I get over the littlest of things. It's not that I am actually a very emotional person, it's just because of my bottled up emotions. I keep them to myself and when the time comes I struggle to contain them.

I'm struggling right now.

I suddenly become self conscious. Are people looking at me? I am having one of my mental breakdowns at school, in the middle of the busy halls. Did someone notice me?

A group of students, my age I think, stand by the lockers laughing for some reason. They smile at each other and continue to laugh.

I become paranoid.