Chapter 1: Lonely

If someone was looking for me, nobody would be able to find me. I am invisible. No one knows who I am, and I like it like that. It's not like people actually care about me, so why should I care about them?  

I'm 13 years old and I was brought into foster care at 9. Now, I'm staying at this crappy place where everyone acts like everything is happy even when it isn't, and they constantly comment on my "bad attitude".

 I don't fit in; just ask anyone who has ever passed through here, with all the other girls playing together, and me, sitting in the corner reading or writing. I'm known as the shy one, but I'm fine with that, as long as no one bothers me. School sucks. I've just started grade 8 now and trust me, it is much worse than grade 7. A new girl started there and is in my class, we rarely have new kids at our school. Too bad I don't make friends; she's a reader, just like me.

That day at school, the new girl walks up to me. "What book are you reading?" she asks in a quiet voice.

 I hold up my book. It's one of my favorites, Inkheart.

The girl smiles showing me her book, Inkdeath, the third of the trilogy. I smile a little too, but I immediately regret it. I don't want her to get to know me or think that I like her.

 "Would you let me sit here?" she asks sitting down beside me.

 I nod as she doesn't really leave me much of a choice.

 "So," the girl continues. "My name's Lydia, what's yours?"

 "Hayley," I respond. This feels like the most human communication that I've had in a long time, and I'm starting to get a bit anxious.

The girl looks at me for another second and then continues reading.

We continue to interact like this almost every day of the school week. The only similarity we have is reading and she'll never become close enough for me to tell her my secret, then again, no one ever has or ever will. It'll stay my secret forever.