Chapter 38: Me, Myself, and Time

"Can you do me a favor?"

Demi nods and walks over to me, slowly. "What is it?" 

"Do you think you could take me to see my mom?" I question.

"At her grave?"

I nod and swallow to try to stop more tears from falling.

"Sure," Demi says. "Where is it?"

"Somewhere in Palm Springs," I reply, stating the city where I grew up.

"I'll look it up and we can go tomorrow," Demi says with a small smile on her face.

I know that going back will be painful and hard. But, I only lived there until I was 6. Then my uncle moved us out to Las Vegas, where the foster home was and we lived there together until I was taken away.

I walk back to the room and sit in there all afternoon, writing some song lyrics. I don't play any instruments; I've never been taught. But, I really want to learn either piano or guitar. Maybe Demi could teach me.

"Hayley, can you come down for supper?" Demi calls up the stairs.

I really don't want to eat, but I know that I have to. As long as Demi doesn't catch on to my weight loss plan, I should still be able to keep off a lot of the weight, but not all of it, and that worries me.

Demi made spaghetti for supper and I know that I should be grateful, but I just don't want to eat. Still, I eat all the food on my plate before going to throw it up. Demi comes into my room and I quickly run to sit on my bed.

"We're leaving at 6 a.m. tomorrow," Demi states. "So, make sure you're ready."

Then, she leaves the room to go to her own room. "If you need me," she adds, half-way out the door, "I'll be in my room, ready to talk."

I know that Demi just wants to help, but I don't need it. I'm almost 2 weeks clean and that hasn't happened since I started when I was 10 or 11.

April's ending soon and I'll have to go back to school. That will be the worst part. What if a childhood friend lives here and goes to that school? By the time I'm falling asleep, that's all I can think about.