Chapter 43: I Believe

Demi's POV

I caught Hayley throwing up her breakfast this morning, confirming my thoughts. She's bulimic. 

"All I'm asking," I continue lecturing, "is why you did it this morning?!" I know that I'm getting out-of-hand, but I care about her and the stress of her problems on me are starting to build.

"I didn't want to!" she cries, but I don't believe her.

"I don't know if I can believe you," I say with caution, "but I do forgive you."

I reach out to hug Hayley.

"No!" She walks out of the room with a stomp. I follow her to the living room where she sits on the floor, leaning against a couch. 

"Hayle-"

"I said 'no'! Just leave me alone!" 

A few tears start to form in my eyes as I realize that Hayley is rejecting me. I make sure that the gates surrounding my house are locked so that she can't leave, then go back up to my room.

"I'm always ready if you need to talk," I half-whisper to myself. 

I don't know how it started, but it's what I say to Hayley every time I leave her, just so that she knows. I know that when I was her age, I needed someone to talk to. I sit on my bed for a few minutes pondering and wondering why Hayley hated me so suddenly. Then I hear a light knock on the door. I guess Hayley heard me after all.

"Hayley?" I whisper even though I know it's her.

"You were right!" Hayley sobs. "I do need to talk!" Her words come out a bit muffled as she bursts into tears.

I stand up and walk over to her. "Sweetheart, it's okay," I assure, not completely sure what to do. I help Hayley walk to my bed and lay her beside me. She cries into my shoulder, shaking from the forceful sobs. I stroke her shoulder, trying to get her to calm down. But, I understand that she just needs some time to cry and get over the initial shock of the situation.

"I promise that I will help you." I cry, saddened by her emotions and clear pain. "Don't worry." 

--------

Triple update! How do you guys like the new cover?