Chapter 56: Behind Enemy Lines

Hayley's POV

I know that Demi will worry, but, at the moment, I don't even care. The city is dark, but still alive. Although it's busy, not many people seem to notice me. Demi's fans would know who I am, but I'm trying to hide as I walk.

As morning breaks, I sit down for a short rest and to look at a map so that I can find my way to my hometown. The walk is long, but it will be worth it just to get away from the way that Demi suffocates me and forces me into recovery.

I make it to my mom's grave as the sun sets that night. I walk through the low, creaky gate into the cemetery and to my mom's grave stone. This time I notice that beside her stone is another stone for my brother. Liam Jackson-Peters. Son and Brother. That's all that it says and I feel bad that he didn't get anything more spectacular. I wonder how he died.

I kneel down beside my mom's stone and place my hand on the cold rock. "Well, hey Mom," I say, awkwardly. "I don't know anything right now. I ran away from Demi and have no where to stay...so... Anyways, how've you been? I'm okay, getting a little better, but, still... I don't know."

I pause when I hear a crack from behind me and turn around. "Hello? Who's there?" I ask, looking around, trying to find the source of the noise.

"Who are you?" the other person sounds even more surprised than I do.

"Hayley," I reply without thinking.

"Wait! Did you go to school at California Elementary School just about a mile from here? You'd be about 13 or 14 now."

"Yeah," I reply. "How do you know me?"

"Um..." she says. "I taught you kindergarten."

"Oh, yeah," I say, recognizing her. "Why are you here?"

"My husband died 3 years ago," she replies. "Why are you here?"

I stand up from kneeling beside my mom's grave. "Visiting my mom."

"Do you still live here? I thought that you moved away."

"I moved to Las Vegas when I was pretty little, but now I'm in LA."

"Weren't you living with your uncle when you moved?"

"Yeah, I'm not anymore."

"Do you have somewhere to stay, or did you come here with someone?" she asks. "You could come stay with my tonight."

"Sure, thank you."

Sitting in the passenger seat, I think about what Demi might be doing now. Maybe she doesn't even care that I'm gone. I know that I'm a bother to her. Why would she care?