Chapter 37: Aftershock

Hayley's POV

I thought he was still in prison. I didn't even know that he'd been released and had moved to LA. That jerk put me through hell and shouldn't have any excuses. I hate him, and I wish he could stay in prison until his death.

I was grateful when Demi said that we could go home right after she convinced me to come out of the bathroom. I'm scared now. Not only about my uncle, but I'm also scared because I have no idea if my dad is dead and, if he's alive, where he is living.

We arrive at Demi's house a bit later and bring all the shopping bags inside. It's mostly just clothes and a few school supplies.

"Can I just go relax?" I ask Demi once the bags are all inside.

"After lunch," she replies, making me lose a bit of hope.

"Fine." I sigh, slightly annoyed. I'm sure that I still have tear-stains on my face, yet, Demi doesn't even sympathize and let me skip lunch.

"Are peanut butter sandwiches okay?" she questions, looking at me.

I nod. Back when I was still eating, I loved peanut butter on almost anything.

A few minutes later, Demi places a peanut butter sandwich in front of me and looks at me expectantly. I eat it, slowly, the sticky peanut butter getting caught in my throat, almost making me gag and throw up. I finish the sandwich with an aching pain in my stomach.

"Okay," Demi says, "if you're desperate, you can go now."

I smile and leave the table, running up the stairs to the guest bedroom. "I shouldn't throw up," I think, "but i have to." So, I walk into the bathroom and throw up the sandwich. Bread isn't as easy to gag up, but I have to manage. Once I've gotten rid of the icky carbs, I go into the center of the room and do some crunches until my stomach aches. I haven't been able to exercise lately and I seriously need to burn off some of that extra fat. Then, I lay in the bed, panting slightly from the exercise.

Thinking about my uncle, I start to cry. Demi has no idea what he put me through and although a part of me wants to tell her, he told me I shouldn't. Since he's out of jail, I have to keep that promise. A few tears start to fall down my cheeks once again. How did my life come to this? I miss my mom. Then, I get an idea. I walk back downstairs and follow the sound of a piano playing into the living room.

"Demi?" I ask, quietly.

She turns around and stops playing.

"Can you do me a favor?"