Chapter 49: In Case

A week later, school has basically just stayed the same. The only bad things are that Kennedy found out about Demi and my eating, but otherwise, it's all been great.

"What are you going to do this weekend?" Kennedy asks.

"Nothing much," I reply. "What about you?"

"Short family trip," she responds, but something seems off about her answer.

Since it's Friday after my second week at school, May is half over. Demi cancelled the remainder of her tour to help me with my recovery, at least until summer. I told her not to, but she insisted.

Demi's been quite distant since her meeting with the judge and all that she's told me about the meeting is that the adoption should be finalized soon.

I climb into the car beside Demi.

"How was your day?" Demi asks.

"Good," I reply, actually meaning it this time.

Demi smiles in response and we head back to her house.

I've been avoiding some breakfasts, on the days that I sleep in, and every school lunch, but Demi still makes me eat supper with her everyday and watches to make sure that I won't be able to purge. I'm getting even more fat than I was before, and I hate it.

Demi's POV

I'm glad that Hayley has made a new friend, but I feel like she is less focused on, not only me, but her recovery as well. I just hope that I can trust her to make the right decisions at school.

I've been forcing her to eat supper every night and she's fighting it less, but I'm scared for her. I still can't find a good time to tell her about her past. I feel like she wants to know, but once she hears it, I'm scared that she could relapse.

That evening, Hayley and I watch a movie before going to bed.

"I'm always here to talk," I whisper to Hayley.

She smiles and goes into her room in response. I hope that she knows I'm telling the truth.