Chapter 36: Back Around

Demi's POV

Hayley and I are at the mall shopping for going back to school. We've been shopping all morning and are on our way to the food court for lunch. I was actually surprised when Hayley finished her breakfast this morning, but was proud.

"Hayley?" a man's voice asks. "It's been forever."

I look at Hayley as she turns around and shock fills her face. The, she runs away, into the girl's bathroom.

"Who are you?" I question him angrily.

"Hayley's uncle," he replies. "I practically raised her."

I shake my head. "You did nothing but ruin her life." Then, I follow Hayley into the bathroom.

"Hayley?" I call out trying to find her. The bathroom is practically empty, just as the mall, since it's a work and school day.

I hear crying coming from the stall at the end of the row and walk up to the stall door. Peaking through the crack, I see that it's Hayley inside.

"Hayley, open up," I quietly order.

"No," Hayley replies. "Leave me alone!"

"Hayley," I try again, "I know who he is. But, I need you to come out now."

"Fine." Hayley sighs through her tears as she opens the bathroom stall door.

I step slightly inside the stall and give Hayley a hug.

"It's okay, Hayley," I assure. "I won't let him hurt you."

She shakes a little as she cries into my shoulder and stands up so that she's only a bit shorter than me. I feel really bad at her. I only have a basic idea of what she went through growing up, but it's still unfathomable for me.

"Can we please go home?" Hayley asks in a small voice.

"Sure," I reply. Grabbing her hand, we walk out of the bathroom and the mall to go home.