Chapter 80: Skyscraper

Demi's POV

"Mom, let's go! We're going to be late!" Hayley ushers me to the car. Tonight is the night that she will be performing with me at my LA concert and to say the least, she's excited.

Hayley calling me "Mom" took a bit of getting used to, but in a good way. I had never realized that being a mom could be so fulfilling. 

We pull up to the venue and security rushes us inside to our dressing rooms. Hayley waves goodbye and we go to our separate rooms.

"You're going to do great tonight, Love," Wilmer says hugging me from behind before I step inside of my dressing room. "I'll be watching from side-stage."

I get ready for the concert and am super hyped since I haven't had the chance to connect a lot with my fans since I adopted Hayley. I open the concert with Confident and can barely hear myself over the cheers.

The concert goes pretty well and the finale approaches quickly.

"Now," I start, "for this last song I am going to invite my beautiful adopted daughter, Hayley Lovato, up to the stage!"

Hayley enters through side-stage and the crowd goes wild. I can tell that she's nervous but nothing can hinder the huge smile on her face as she walks towards me. Her hair is all done-up and she's dressed in something a little more girly than normal.

I give her a quick hug and hand her the microphone from the piano.

We wait for a second then the opening to Skyscraper begins and although I hear cheering, all that matters in this moment is singing with Hayley and making her dream come true.

I sing the first verse and chorus, then Hayley starts with the second verse.

Hayley's POV

As the second chorus to Skyscraper starts, I feel even more nervous than I had when I was walking onto the stage. 

"As the smoke clears, I awaken, and untangle you from me.

"Would it make you, feel better to watch me while I bleed?" I start to gain more confidence and the crowd doesn't seem to hate me. I start to smile as I sing the last line before Demi joins back in. "All my windows still are broken, but I'm standing on my feet!"

Demi and I finish the song together and the crowd cheers almost unbearably loud. I did it; I faced my fears and came out on the other side better than ever before.

Demi hugs me tight and I notice that her eyes are tearing up, some mascara dripping slightly. I start to cry as well, feeling relieved and super pumped up from the crowd.

Wilmer runs out onto the stage and we form a group hug before Demi speaks into her microphone.

"So how amazing was she?!" Demi yells.

The crowd cheers loudly. I even hear a few people chanting my name. My smile is so big that I feel almost as if my face could explode. So this is what true joy feels like.

"Hayley, how are you feeling?" Demi asks.

"Amazing!" I squeak into my microphone. 

The audience laughs with me.

This past year has had many ups and downs but I've finally realized true happiness, joy, and love. I've moved on, grown up, gained experiences that I never could've imagined would happen in my lifetime. I was adopted, something that I had long given up on, and I finally have a place to safely call home.

"This was the best year of my life," I add. "I feel unstoppable!"

Demi hugs me one last time before we leave stage.

"You did incredible," she whispers.

"I feel it too," I say. "I'm no longer left out. Thank you for believing in me even when I didn't."

There is nothing better than this.

THE END.

-----

I hope that you all enjoyed Left Out! This is such a bittersweet moment for me. I can't believe that I finished writing it and thank you all so much for your support and the almost 30k reads! You guys are incredible!

-IAmALovatic4Life

(Update: And now thanks for more than 70k reads!)