Chapter 32: Got Dynamite

Hayley's POV

"What happened in there?" Demi asks me in a partial-whisper.

"I don't know," I answer, tears rolling down my cheeks.

Demi nods, sympathy present in her eyes. She reaches over and hugs me.

"I talked to your foster mother, which is why you are here," Demi continues, "but we do need to figure out what's going to happen with you."

I shrug, "I'm not going to make you keep me."

"I want to," Demi says. "I'm just not sure how it will all work."

"Okay," I respond quietly.

Demi smiles. "Do you think you could walk now?" 

"I can try." There is a bit of hope in my voice.

Demi lifts me up off the bed and places me standing on the floor. I take a few steps before my legs collapse underneath me. I whimper a little as pain sears through my legs. Demi picks me back up and lays me on the bad again.

"We'll try again later," I say, more tears forming in my eyes.

"It's okay," Demi says, "but, I have a question for you. You don't have to answer it if you don't want to."

"Okay," I reply, "What is it?"

"What happened to your parents?" 

I look in her at shock and don't reply.

"That's okay," Demi sighs, "You don't have to answer. But, how long were you in foster care?"

"Since I was 9, but I lived with my uncle for almost 6 years before that."

"So, you were 3 when your parents..." Demi says.

"Please, don't talk about it. It's none of your business," I say halfheartedly.

Demi nods. "I understand." She lays beside me on the bed. "What do you want for supper?" 

"Nothing," I reply. "I still feel like throwing up because of that stupid medication they gave me."

"Fine. I'll let you get away with it this time."

I smile in thanks and fall asleep, exhausted from the events of today.