Chapter 19: Only Forever

Demi's POV

As we pull up to the hospital, I start to shake from nerves. I just hope that Hayley is okay. I run to the front desk and half-yell at the lady at the front desk, "Where is Hayley?!"

"Are you family?"

"I'm her godmother," I reply, close enough.

"Um... she's actually in surgery right now, so, I'm sorry."

"What?! What even happened?" I ask.

"She opened a blood vessel and was losing too much blood so she is getting stitches right now. It's not a serious surgery, but, her condition is pretty serious."

"Okay, when can I see her?"

"Probably in half an hour, but she won't be awake yet. She may be in a coma until she recovers some of her lost blood," the lady replies.

I nod and walk to sit down in the waiting room.

"I'll leave. The girls will soon be back from school," the stupid foster mother says, walking out the door.

I scroll aimlessly through my phone trying to kill time.

...

Around forty minutes later, a nurse walks up to me. "Are you here for Hayley?" she asks.

I nod. "Is she alright?"

"Time will tell," the nurse replies, somewhat avoiding my question.

The nurse leads me to the ICU and lets me into the room. Hayley is hooked up to many wires, tubes, and has blood being pumped into her arm which is covered in scars... scars from cutting. I should have known.

"Her legs were worse," the nurse says. "That's where she cut the vein."

I walk over to her and slide her hospital gown halfway up her thigh to see that both thighs are completely wrapped in bandages, one soaked in multiple drops of blood. This is pretty serious; I'm scared for her. After she's better, she'll most likely have to stay in psych and that place sure has a way of making anyone feel worthless.

I sit on the bed beside her and can't help but cry.

"I'll leave you alone," the nurse says, leaving the ICU. "Call if you need anything."

I nod but the nurse has already gone. I lightly place my hand on Hayley's arm and the tears continue to pour out. Her hospital gown hangs loosely off her thin frame making her seem even more skinny. She's basically just skin and bones and her skin is super pale. She looks terrible, but I know that I can help her.

"I promise that I'll help you get better," I whisper to Hayley as I watch her unconscious body twitch slightly.

--------

Next Update: Sunday