Chapter 45: Brand New Day

I wake up; it's Monday and my first day at the new school. I climb out of bed, shower, and get dressed. Even though it's really hot out, I wear pants and a long sweater.

"Hayley," Demi says, coming into the room, "wear a t-shirt."

"But the scars..."

She hands me some bracelets and helps me cover up the scars really well so that even with a t-shirt on, they can't be seen.

"Thanks," I say to Demi.

"Now come down for breakfast," Demi reminds me.

I follow her downstairs and eat a small bowl of cereal to please Demi. It's immediately time to go, so I don't have time to run off to the bathroom first to throw it up. Demi is driving me to school today, since she's going to talk about adopting me with the lawyer anyway.

We pull up at the school 10 minutes later.

"Good luck," Demi says as I grab my backpack and step out of the car, watching her drive away.

The kids are all grouped up with no space for a new girl, I already know that. I walk into the school and the office.

"Um, hi," I say awkwardly, "I'm Hayley and I'm new."

"Right," the secretary says. "Lovato. You're in class 153 which will be your classroom for most of the day."

I smile and nod before leaving the office to go find room 153. The room is easier to find than I had thought I would be. The room is pretty empty, so I walk to the back of the classroom and sit in an empty desk surrounded by other empty desks.

Soon a bell rings and the classroom fills with students.

"Excuse me," a tall, blonde girl says, "that is my desk. You can sit over there." She points to the only other empty desk across the room.

I don't want to argue, I don't even want to talk to her; so I get out of the desk and walk to the empty desk. As I sit down, the teacher comes into the room and starts to talk.

"Hello, class!" He says with too much enthusiasm.

"Hi." A few of the students lazily reply.

"We have a new student today," the teacher says. "Can Hayley please stand up?"

The second I hear my name, my heart anxiously starts racing. I slowly stand up.

"Hello, Hayley. Could you tell us something about yourself?"

"Um..." I mumble. My throat immediately plugs up and I can't even talk. I feel like throwing up my breakfast which I just remember that I ate this morning. My face starts to turn red as I get more and more embarrassed. I sit down in the desk.

"Hayley?" the teacher asks.

I get up from the desk and run out of the classroom. I make it to the nearest bathroom just in time to throw up. I already know today will suck. Once I've thrown up, I start to cry and sit on the floor of the disgusting bathroom stall. I try to stay quiet so that I'm not heard, but I don't think I'm very successful. I put my hand in my pocket to feel for the little piece of metal that I bring everywhere with me, then I remember that Demi took all my blades. This just makes my tears fall faster.

The bell rings and I leave the stall and wash my face to try to get rid of the tear stains before going back to class. I hate this school.

----------------

Thank you for all the reads and votes!