Chapter 68: This Is Me

Demi's POV

As Hayley steps into the studio, she seems a little nervous. She is quite shy and I've only heard her sing a few times. But, she loves it and obviously I'm going to support her dreams.

"What would you like to sing to warm up?" I ask her looking at the producer.

"Could I sing 'This Is Me'?" she questions in a shaking voice.

I nod and the producer starts playing the karaoke version of my old song, "This Is Me". We're both silent as she starts to sing.

"I've always been the kind of girl, that hid my face."

Her voice is quiet and timid as she warms up. Her voice wavers as she sings.

"So afraid to tell the world what I've got to say."

I smile as she gains some confidence in herself.

By the time the chorus comes around, she's singing as if she's the only one there and actually sounds really good! Of course there's room for improvement, but considering that she hasn't practiced in a while, she sounds beautiful.

"This is me..." Hayley finishes, then looks up at both me and the producer.

I nod and smile at her. "Amazing," I compliment, looking her in the eyes.

She seems giddy and proud of herself for completing the song. I'm proud too. I never knew that she had such ability! Especially for her age.

Hayley's POV

Recording in Demi's studio was incredible, but as Monday roles around, I wish that I could curl up in a hole and die. I really do not want to go back to school after the amazing weekend I just had, but there's no way to escape it.

I wake up early in the morning and get dressed. I wear long sleeves and put on enough makeup to look decent, then walk downstairs.

"Good morning," Demi says, but she looks miserable.

"What's wrong?" I ask, worried.

"I'm sick," she replies, coughing in response.

"Well, I'm going to school," I exclaim, grabbing my backpack and running out the door. "Get better!"

I really hope that Demi isn't too seriously sick. 

Boarding the bus, I recognize a face.

"Lydia?" I ask, sitting down beside the new girl.

"Hayley!" she exclaims, "Why are you in LA?"

"Well..."

She smiles. "Either way, I'm so glad you're here. We've moved so much since leaving Las Vegas and I have really missed you."

We talk the whole way to school and I cannot believe that she moved to the same school distract as me. Her accepting me so quickly is a way to prove that she really is my friend, and she actually did miss me.