chapter 20

lauren pov

God must be watching over me, Camila’s house flooding was perfect timing. That sounds horrible but it seriously benefits me. Especially because her parents were taking the guest room and she would be forced to stay in my room.

I heard a knock on my bedroom door and flung myself towards it. I opened it and saw Camila standing there with a small suitcase. It’s about time she arrived, it’s already 7:00 Pm.

“Come on in” I smiled brightly and pulled her into my room, closing the door behind her. I could tell she was trying to ignore me as she places her suitcases in the corner.

“You can leave your stuff there, and we can just share the bed” I said, pointing to my queen size bed.

“I’ll sleep on the floor thanks” Camila responded.

“We’ve shared a bed before Camila..well technically it was a hard floor of our shelter but it’s similar”.

“Lauren, why are you being nice to me?” I asked.

“I remember when you asked me that on the island” I flopped on the bed, sitting on the edge.

“You’re avoiding the question” Camila walked over to my desk and sat in the swivel chair.

“Listen, Camila i know i’ve been a jerk. But seeing you get terrorized by Vero really hurt me. I’m so used to being the one who protects you, and i didn’t do my job yesterday”.

“You can’t protect me anymore Lauren! I’m not yours to protect”.

“Camila, i might not want a relationship, but we can be friends”

“I guess” She shrugged and looked at the floor. “But last time i checked friends don’t act like they don’t know each other in school”.

“Fine, i won’t be as isolated” I stood up and walked over, grabbing her arm and pulling her onto the bed, we sat Indian style next to each other.

“I did miss you..” I smile appeared on her face and i just wanted to hug her.

I had a revelation. I really wanted to be with Camila, but for now we had to be friends until i built back our relationship. I turned on the TV and flipped through the channels.

“Are you going to Jake’s party tomorrow?” She asked me as i settled on watching My Super Sweet Sixteen on MTV.

“Yep” I answered.

“Same”

“No, you can’t go Camila”. I said quickly.

“Ok mom” Camila playfully rolled her eyes.

“I’m serious, i don’t want any drunk people to try and get in your pants. Plus, Vero is going to be there”. I said, pleading with her not to go. I really didn’t want Jake to get drunk and try anything on her. And Vero was just another reason that Camila should stay away.

“You’re only saying this because your jealous that Jake likes me and not you” She said. I clenched my fists and let them go.

“You can have Jake, but if he gets really drunk..”

“Stop! He is a good guy, and i know what you are doing. I’m not going to give up Jake because you are jealous of me”.

“Why would i be jealous of you? He just thinks you’re easy”. I smirked.

“No he doesn’t…” Camila’s face turned sad. Great i hurt her feelings, i scooted closer, putting my hand on hers.

“Sorry, i didn’t mean that”.