[Chapter Four] Liam

You broke my heart with your silence.
             You coudn't even give me the last gift of closure

                                                  -Unknown

Chapter Four- Liam

Walking away from her was the hardest thing I've done. I know that I could have told her I was sorry and loved her and we would have tried to work it out but I just couldn't do that, I wanted to but part of me just couldn't.

She broke my trust and you can't have a relationship without it.

"Did you two finally make up?" Kalila asked when I went back down stairs

"No, we finally ended it." everyone looked surprised and I looked away and left, I got in my truck and I went home.

I lay In my bed thinking and ignoring my phone.

What she said had really bothered me.

She shouldn't count on me? How could she not count on me? I was there for her every step of the way this summer; she was the one who broke that, not me.

Maybe distance Is what we needed, maybe with this out in the open we could finally move on from this, maybe it will make it easier to have that closure. I threw myself into my work so I wouldn't have time to think but I couldn't bring myself to sleep in my own bed.

Sure enough the screaming continued every night and I had to pretend like I didn't care.

The next week went by even more awkwardly.

We all spent a lot of time together because it was the holidays and it was time for family and even though they weren't my family biologically they still were family to us and they wouldn't be back for months.

Harrison was having fun playing with kids his own age and little Kaitlin loved all the attention she got from everyone. She was adorable and she knew it.

I was happy for Addison seeing her bond with her family, they had a lot to catch up on but they didn't seem to mind spending long hours together.

It may be over with us but I still wanted what was best for her, I wanted her to be happy.

She clicked well with them, especially with Mandalyn. They were very careful about what they talked about, not wantig to bring up anything to upset her.

"What are you doing, Liam?" Asher asked me as he caught me staring

"What do you mean?

"You know damn well what I mean, what are you doing to her?" he asked me

"Nothing, it's over." He snorted

"You know as well as I do that this isn't over between you two. Be a damn man and stop living in the past and pay attention to the future. Are you really going to let her go over something as stupid as this?" he asked me

"I can't trust her." I told him

"Yeah well I wouldn't trust you if I were her either." He said and walked away. My eyes snapped to him and I followed him out of the living room and outside.

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?" I asked

"It means that she trusted you and you let her down just like everyone else in her life has. You proved to her there is no point in opening up to someone, that people were always just going to leave her."

"She's the one who left."

"And now she's back. You spent months pining after her and now she's here and you're too much of a coward to do anything about it.

"You're supposed to be my best friend!" I accused

"Yeah and Addie's like my little sister. The truth hurts Liam, take a long look at what you want because Addie's not going to wait for you forever and you're going to regret it when she moves on from her past and without you." and with that he left me standing there in the cold.

He was being out of line; all anyone cared about was her, now how I was feeling and now what she did to me but what it would do to her. She can't just treat people like shit and expect them to not give a damn.

After New Year everyone left as Kaylis and faith went back to school and Kalila, Addie and Asher started back up in college.

Things were still on edge with Asher and I, I was pissed at what he said and he was pissed at me so I decided to ignore everything he said because he was being an ass.

The New Year was such a drastic change from this summer; we were all out doing our thing, hardly home. My boss was giving me a lot of praise for the work I had been doing and I relished in that and threw myself into it even more.

I lived and breathed these projects and it showed.

I was working on plans for a building that they were going to be doing in Seattle in a couple months and it was a big break for me. This would be huge if they took my opinions into consideration on it and so I was as detail oriented as possible.

My boss was letting me sit in on meetings and going out to a couple small sights that were being built.

Everything seemed to really be working out for me right now.

Anyone picking teams between Addie and Liam yet?