[Chapter Six] Liam

Sometimes life leaves us no choice
                          but to move on from the people we love
                                but that does not mean we stop
                                          loving,
                                               caring and
                                                         missing them.

                                                       -Unknown

Chapter Six – Liam

I finally started sleeping in my own bed at home because I felt it was finally time to move on from it but even in my own bed I couldn hear the imaginary echoes of her screams, it kept me from sleeping well at night.

My normal routine of work and sleeping was getting old and so I decided it was time to make things right with Ashe so I called him and asked him to come over.

"You called." He said when he came in and I nodded

"I don't want things to be like this anymore, you're my best friend and I don't want to fight with you."

"You're still my best friend I just don't like the way you treated Addie." I guess he was rightfully angry there because she was family, I was just annoyed

"What happened with her is between us. It's mine and her business but things are over between us."

"You keep saying that but who are you trying to convince Liam, us or yourself."

"I don't need to convince anyone, it's over." I told him more firmly

"Tell me you don't love her." he challenged as he sat down on my couch.

"I can't but just because you love someone doesn't mean you're supposed to be together. Love isn't always enough." I wished it was but it's just not.

"You're going to regret that, you're going to regret not being there for her and you're going to regret not being there to support her. Addie isn't going anywhere Liam. She's not leaving in two months, she's staying and she's forever going to be in your life. Are you saying that you're not going to regret giving up when you come home for Christmas and see her with someone else?" he asked me and I couldn't answer that because I don't know.

"I don't know. Sure I could regret it but what if I don't. What if I find someone who I'm meant to be with, what if it's not her?" They're so set on us being together that they don't think about the fact that maybe we aren't meant to be.

"And what if you don't and you spend the rest of your life with someone you settled for?" he asked me

"I don't know. We're all so young, she's only nineteen! Marriage and all that is so far down the road."

"It may feel like it but at the same time it's just around the corner, all I'm saying is you only get one life and I can tell you that Addie's lucky she still has hers and isn't going to sit around waiting for you to come to your senses." he loved her and was protective of her and I respected that.

"And she shouldn't be, she should be moving on." Lies my mind shot at me but I ignored it.

"She is, she's trying to cope with the trauma and I can tell you right now that if you aren't there for that, if you're not there to support her and help her through this, she's never going to forgive you for it. If in a few years you realize you made a mistake she may love you but she's never going to be able to forgive you for abandoning her when she needed you the most."  

"No matter what she's always going to be important to me Asher, you never forget the first person you fell in love with but I just can't right now."

"What did she do that was so bad?" he asked me and I looked away from him because that was hard to answer, I couldn't ever seem to put into words

"She told him she loved him and kissed him right in front of me, right after I told her that I loved her. She chose him over me."

"You're an idiot." He shook his head and stood up

"See, everyone only cares about her in this. you're all choosing sides and none of you are on mine."

"I'm not choosing sides. Sure she messed up but is that mistake going to be held over her for the rest of her life? You are my best friend but you're not thinking here, you're not trying to see things from her side."

"She's not seeing it from mine either."

"Yes she is. She's accepted what you said, she's accepted that it's over. She won't tell anyone but it's killing her but she sees where you're coming from even when we don't and she respects your choice. She's being an adult about it while you're still sulking like a child."

"If she accepts it then why won't you guys let up?"

"Because if it was really over between you two you would be moving on from it, not obsessing."

"How am I supposed to move on when my best friend's against me?" I asked

"I'm not against you I just want you to think about it. You and Addie need to make up rather it be get back together or find a common ground to be civil, death glares at her aren't going to make thins comfortable for anyone. You two need to figure your shit out and soon."

"We can't just jump into being friends. You guys need to give us both time to deal with it without pushing it."

"Fine. Then don't ask me how she's doing and don't talk to me about her. If you want to know something you can talk to her yourself."

"Fine." I agreed

"Party tomorrow night, I'll pick you up." He said and I sighed in relief

"What time?" I asked

"Nine, see you tomorrow." He said and he left.

I was glad to have him back and I hated to admit he was right. We were always going to be in each other's lives and needed to get on common ground and maybe soon we can work on being friends.