[Chapter Thirty-Seven] Addie

Someone who is worthy of your love
                        will never put you in a situation
                           where you feel you must sacrifice
                                    your dignity,
                                               your integrity,
                                                           or your self-worth
                                           to be with them.

Chapter Thirty-Seven – Addie

I wasn’t ready for this, I know this isn’t the first day but I wasn’t ready to hear his twisted story on our relationship. He was a sick and twisted man, if you could even call him a man. He was more like a monster.

Regardless on if I was ready or not I still had to get ready for trial that morning, Liam went into work that morning and he was coming home with us after instead of going to work just in case I needed him. What if what we presented wasn’t good enough, he was the man who could get out of anything and I hoped that luck wasn’t on his side this time.

I hoped it was karma’s time to show herself.

I made sure my appearance was acceptable and I ate lunch with my family, no one said anything. Nina and Karen were going to stay under the radar today, I would tell Nathan after the day and he could add them to the witness list.

I didn’t want Lisa and Lucas knowing about them yet and I’m sure Lisa knew nothing about them in general; well she loved money so she could have known and didn’t care.

I walked into court with my head held high and took my seat with Nathan, my family all tried to reassure me and all I had to do was sit here and listen, I didn’t actually have to  be here for it but I wanted to be. I needed to face this and know what he was going to say.

I needed him to see my face as he said those lies. Not that I thought he had a soul, I just needed to be here and they understood that.

They opened up and I kept my eyes forward and blocked it all out until I saw him walking past, he looked at me and smirked, Nathan grabbed my hand and then Than took the stand, it made me sick that he was swearing on the bible to tell the truth and I knew he would lie.

Maybe he’s the son of Satan instead.

Lisa decided to question him this round, he was for the defense so they got him first and they would get him last which kind of worried me, they could fix any doubt Nathan causes.

“Tell us about your relationship with Miss. Gregory.” She said and he looked at me all depressed and upset and I just glared back.

“It started out as a friendship from our parents; we spent a lot of time together. I know she was a lot younger than me but I really liked her and our parents didn’t protest it so I asked her out and she said yes. We dated for a while and when she turned seventeen she moved in with me.”

“What was your relationship like after she moved in?” Lisa asked

“Great, it was nice living together, we would cook together and I would get to go to sleep with her and wake up with her next to me. We were happy and I thought that we always were, I never thought that she could have cheated on me like that.” He got choked up and cleared his throat.

I looked to the jury and they all looked sympathetic, I can’t believe they were buying his bullshit. I wanted to scream at them right now.

“How did it affect your relationship after she was attacked?” Lisa asked and I gripped Nathan’s hand. It’s not exactly something that’s easy to handle, the day he stabbed me and left me to bleed out in an ally.