[Chapter Forty-One] Addie

Life goes on…
                               Whether you chose to move on
                                         and take a chance in the unknown
        or stay behind,
                   locked in the past,
                               thinking of what could’ve been.

Chapter Forty-One – Addie

Having a couple days off was nice but it couldn’t distract me from what was coming up, next was evidence about my parents and then we would be hearing a verdict on the whole case. I felt like my whole life rested on the next couple days, if he wasn’t found guilty then I don’t know what I would do.

I told Auntie this and she held me and told me I would survive like I always had and that I would be fine. I fought back and it won’t be for nothing, I got part of my life back and I showed them I wasn’t under their control anymore.

She would tell me this trial was the first steps and no journey worth going on was only a few steps, it was thousands and sometimes a couple hundred were in the wrong direction. You got lost and you found yourself again, you saw things you never expected and met people you were always supposed to meet. She would tell me that no matter what it didn’t end here and the people who loved me would always find me when I got lost.

After today there would be no more questioning and no more trial, it was going to be over in that aspect and we would just have to wait on the verdict. We may be called back later that day or in a week when their time limit is up.

As I headed into court that final day I was as nervous as the first, I didn’t want it to end if that meant my hope could possibly be gone or it meant that I could be free and even with the odds it didn’t seem good enough, I don’t know, I just was conflicted I guess.

“It’s going to be okay.” Liam held tight to my hand, even with the accusations against me we never backed up our relationship for anyone and he never left my side. He was painted as a bad guy but for me, he just ignored it and I don’t think I could ever thank him enough for that. I was so afraid that he wouldn’t understand or wouldn’t be able to put up with all of this but he was doing better than I was and right now, I don’t even know why I was worried. He was a great person and I know now he wouldn’t have left, he won’t leave.

“As long as I have all of you.” I gave him a weak smile but it was a smile none the less.

“Always.” He kissed my temple before I went with Nathan to take our seats. I waited to tell him about Nina and Karen because I wanted to have as much of an element of surprise as I could so I told him last night about it, I knew it was a risk but he got them on for today and I hope it shakes them up a little.

Everyone took their seats and then things picked up quickly, I told my side of the story. I talked about the abuse and how I told them everything and how they beat me into keeping quiet and they talked about how much they loved me and never wanted me hurt, how they knew nothing and would always protect me.

The thought of my parents protecting anything but their reputation was laughable.

When Nina was called to the stand I watched Lisa and Lucas, as she walked up and took a seat Lucas’s face went pale and Lisa looked confused, she really didn’t know anything. She stated her name and swore on the bible before Nathan stood up to question her.