[Chapter Twenty-Two] Liam

A strangled smile fell from your face
               It kills me that I hurt you this way
         The worst part is that I didn't even know

      Now there's a million reasons for you to go
                But if you can find a reason to stay

                        I'll do whatever it takes
                               To turn this around
                        I know what's at stake
                    I know that I've let you down

               And if you give me a chance
                          Believe it, I can change
                               I'll keep us together
                                      Whatever it takes

                        Lifehouse - Whatever It Takes

Chapter Twenty-Two – Liam

I went into work one day and the office was all talking about something and I sat down to work but I couldn't ignore the voices around me

"Poor girl." I heard

"I can't believe this; they all seemed like great people."

"Trial's soon, she better win."

"His father's representing her."

"And her parents are representing him?" the person asked

"Yeah, Gregory verses Jackson; this is going to be the trial or the year at least." My blood ran cold at those two names and I shot up and yanked the paper off the desk and her picture was on the front page.

'Gregory v Jackson: Abuse, Rape, Attempted murder.' Was the one it read and my eyes zeroed in on that one word and I wanted to bash my head against the wall for not thinking about that sooner. All these months and I just never thought about it.

I googled the case and saw all the headlines.

'Rich girl claims rape.'

'The secrets of the Gregory family revealed. Abuse, rape, and attempted murder'

'Gregory claims abuse to hide secret life of sex and addiction'

It's obvious who got to what place first and I felt my head spinning and I felt sick because everything made sense now and I left her. I knew she was abused and I don't know why I thought the man had a soul, I never really thought that she would have been raped but it makes so much more sense.

She always told me that I deserved better, that I wouldn't love her if I knew the truth but she was wrong. This wasn't her fault and even if she chose to sleep with him, even if she wasn't a virgin by choice it didn't make me love her any less, it didn't make me think less of her as a person.

I was about to go online and catch the first flight I could home when it occurred to me that she was coming here, that she may be here already.

I called her phone and it went straight to voicemail so I googled more about the case and called Asher until he answered and the more I read the sicker I felt and the more I wanted to get my hands on this asshole.

He was there, right after I left he was there and I wasn't there to protect her. Why couldn't she just tell me the truth?

"Liam." He answered, he knew why I was calling.