[Chapter Twenty-Seven] Addie

Everybody has gone through something
                           that has changed them
                      in a way that they could never go back
                                   to the person they once were.

Chapter Twenty-Seven – Addie

I went through the whole story about what happened and then the time I was dreading came, it was time for cross-examination from my parents and then we would hear from Alex who was caught between this all and that was it for the day.

I was half way there and I just wanted this part to be over.

This was the hardest. Once we got passed this day the others will be better.

"You say that it was rape?" My mother asked me

"Yes." This was the part that had me most on edge; with Nathan we went over it, this was all unpredictable but I just had to tell the truth and hope that they believed me and my parents didn't make it into something else.

"Why didn't you file charges?" she asked

"I was too afraid to, he told me he would kill me if I did." Hell, he may even now.

"Or was it because you were angry with him breaking things off after he learned of you cheating on him last summer?" she asked me and I opened my mouth to yell about how I broke things off and then shut it to take a deep breath.

"I broke things off with him and like usual no one cared about my opinion and wouldn't accept it, I didn't cheat on him except with the men he brought home and forced me to sleep with which to me isn't cheating when he's the one holding a knife to my body or watching." God that part still made me cringe.

"Isn't it true you suffered from depression?" she asked

"Yes." It would be messed up if I didn't with my life.

"Cutting can be a common reaction to that and on the location, did you harm yourself?" she asked and I frowned at her but my heart was racing.

"No I didn't. I suffered through every single cut in my skin having to stitch them up myself after he went out to sleep with some other girl" I said through my teeth; I was angry. I know it's her job to cause doubt but I hated that they would say I did this to myself.

I hated they would say I cheated on him when he was never faithful to me, ever!

She proceeded to talk about my non-existent drug and alcohol addiction and how Than treated me in public and I knew he would play the sad ex-fiancé who was just absolutely devastated when his soon to be wife went away for the summer and he spent it missing me while I was cheating on him.

He was a very good actor.

"If you were so afraid why did you come home when we came down to get you?"

"I didn't feel like I had any other choice."

"Even after your Aunt said she would get a restraining order and help you, you went over to him, kissed him, let him put that ring back on your finger and told him you loved him." she looked pleased

"My whole life has been about obeying and appearances. I did it so maybe he wouldn't hurt me as much when I left but since you are bringing up personal details, you both sat there while he punched me in the stomach as soon as I got in the car."

"I'll ask you again, why didn't you stay after your Aunt offered to get you a restraining order?" I leaned forward and looked her in the eyes to show her I wasn't afraid of her.