[Chapter Twenty-Four] Liam

And now, as long as I can,
I'm holding on with both hands
'Cause forever I believe
That there's nothing I could need but you

So if I haven't yet, I've gotta let you know

You're never gonna be alone
from this moment onIf you ever feel like letting go,
I won't let you fall
When all hope is gone,I know that you can carry on
We're gonna see the world out,
I'll hold you 'til the hurt is gone

Nickelback - Never Gonna Be Alone

Chapter Twenty-Four - Liam

I didn't expect to be curled up in bed with her right now, I honestly never though she would forgive me and I was fully prepared to walk out that door tonight because she didn't want to be with me but here I was, laying with my girlfriend.

She smiled up at me and I can't remember the last time I saw her look this happy. I tangled my fingers with hers and she watched as I played with hers until she brought my palm to her mouth and kissed my hand and she eventually fell asleep but I couldn't.

I knew this wouldn't be easy for her but I was about to hear, in detail, about the things that happened to her. I had to sit there and listen to how he hit her, cut her, how he brought his friends over and forced themselves on her.

It wasn't just her body that was scared, it was her soul too.

They really did a number to her and I was so proud of her for doing this and I believed she could do it, she needed to not just to get them locked up but for herself, she's never going go be able to move on until she does this.

I ran my hand up and down her arm and just watched her sleep when Lalan came in and leaned against the door.

"She's finally sleeping." She seemed relieved and I nodded

"She's beautiful when she's sleeping." I couldn't take my eyes off of her, I had her back and I didn't want to look away because I felt when I looked back she would be thousands of miles away again.

"She's going to need therapy, I think you should go with her when it's over." I nodded

"If that's what she wants."

"I think that when this trial is over you two should put some distance between you." I looked at her

"What?" I asked

"Not completely but you won't be there ever night and eventually she's going to need to do it on her own. She's too dependent on you and with the trial I can understand but afterwards she needs to be strong on her own too." Lalan looked at her and I did to.

"I know you're right it just sucks to think about."

"I know but it's what's best for the long run and if you keep enabling it now it's going to be worse to break later." She was right.

"Okay but how do I do it? I can't just sit there hearing her screaming at night."

"I think that's something to ask a therapist and I'm hoping that after the trial she'll be more at peace with things and it will be easier."

"I'll do it." I told her and she nodded

"It's about time you finally manned up." She smiled and I caught myself running my fingers through her hair out of habit.

"I know. It took me long enough, huh?" I asked and she nodded

"Thank you for everything you've done for her." she looked adoringly at Addison, anyone could tell she loved her like her own. Lalan was a real mother to her.

"You too, you took her in and gave her a home and a real family." I don't think she takes enough credit for how happy Addison is now.

"I should have done it the day she was born. I thought about her all the time the last nineteen years and I knew that it may not be the best life growing up but I never thought it would be this bad."

"She's safe now." I told her and she wiped her eyes and smiled

"I know; goodnight." She left before she lost it.

I stayed with her as long as I could the next morning before I gave her a kiss goodbye and I had to go to work. It would be like that, work and I was staying with them, and it was almost like being home. Addie would disappear with Nathan to do trial prep and I decided I would take her out.

She couldn't hide forever and in Seattle we blended right into the crowd as I took her to the Seattle Science Center. It was an amazing place and she didn't want to leave the butterfly exhibit. I was glad that she could at least have this normalcy before trial in a few days.

When I went to work the next day I got a call from her

"They have the results." She mumbled

"I'll be there in a few minutes." I told her and hung up and went to see my boss

"I need to take a long lunch." I told him

"Is it the girl?" he asked and I nodded

"Something came up and she needs me, I'll be back though soon." I told him and he nodded

"I read about the case." He said and I nodded

"I think everyone in here has."

"Go on, she needs you more than I do right now but tomorrow is going to be a long day and you'll be out late." He gave me a heads up

"That's fine, thank you."

"And thank you for not letting it get in the way of your work. I know you'll need some days off to be there and that can be arranged." He was a very understanding guy

"Thanks." I headed over to her house and she was sitting in the living room, Kalila and Asher got her last night and Asher scooted over for me and Nathan gave her the letter.

"I understand if you need to do this alone." Lalan said and she shook her head

"No, it's fine." She opened it and looked at me and I gave her a nod to look at it.

"DNA from the baby is a match to Lucas Kraft's." she said and sighed before she bolted and I let Kalila go after her while she threw up. She needed her whole family right now, not just me.

"Does this change anything?" Asher asked me

"Not at all." It didn't matter who the father of the baby was in terms of our relationship.

"It doesn't even bother you that she may never be able to have children?" he asked and that was enough I stood up angrily

"Why do you guys keep doing this, do I sit there asking you every single fucking day if you're going to abandon her? No, because I know you love her. I'm not going anywhere! I'll sit through court and I'll listen to her story and I will still love her. Nothing is wrong with her and you guys need to stop acting like she's a fucking toxic bomb."

It wasn't only insulting to me but to her too.

"Calm down." Addie said and I sighed as she wrapped her arms around me

"I know you love me." she mumbled against my chest and I nodded, at least she knew.

"Are you okay?" I asked her and she nodded

"I needed to know in order to put it behind me. You can go back to work Liam, I'm okay." She assured me

"He's not going anywhere until he eats! It's his lunch break and he's going to eat lunch." Lalan protested and she gave me a small wink as we went into the kitchen. She was always on my side with this and I get her family's making sure I'm serious but there is a line and enough is enough.