[Chapter Eleven] Addie

If a girl has a wall up
                   it’s because it was built brick by brick,
                                           lie after lie,
                                heartbreak after heartbreak 

Chapter Eleven – Addie

Auntie and I have been looking for a lawyer but either they suck or don’t want to take on a case like mine. I didn’t think it would be this hard but with who my parents are and who Than is they don’t want to risk going against them. If I lost I have no doubt my parents would try to ruin whoever my lawyer was.

My parents were pushing it because they wanted to get a move on this case which means they must be pretty cocky that they’re going to win if they’re pushing this hard to get the trial going instead of buying time to figure things out.

I’m sure they’re going to play dumb and say they knew nothing and didn’t lay a hand on me.

“I’m sorry sweetheart, we’ll find someone.” Auntie said, it’s been two weeks and I was out of hope, they were going to win, they were all going to get away with it. I went home and cried because even when I fought back it did nothing!

I fought them when they raped me and I got slashed open, I tried to leave and he almost killed me, I tried to stay and they came for me, I pressed charges and no one will touch the case. I couldn’t win, I could never win.

What was the point then, why do I keep trying, why don’t I just go and fucking slit my wrists open and finish what they started! If they get away with it I’m going to pay for it, somehow I’m going to pay for pressing charges.

The rumor was already out for them and I’m sure they were all being shunned from their social circle.

“Addison.” Auntie knocked on the door and I sighed, abandoning my suicidal thoughts for the time being.

“Yeah?” I yelled back and she opened the door.

“Someone’s here to see you.” she looked confused

“Who?” I asked

“He wouldn’t say, he just said he needed to talk to you.” I nodded and I hesitantly went downstairs and outside and froze when I saw who was here.

“Addison, you okay?” Kalila asked and the family was all there to see who was here.

“Addison.” He nodded at me

“Mr. Jackson.” I said and he gave me a sad smile

“Please call me Nathan.”

“Did he send you here to pressure me into dropping the charges?” I felt dizzy and sick.

“Who are you?” Auntie came and put an arm around me protectively, in a way I always with my mother would do.

“Nathanial Jackson.” He introduced himself

“Lalan Brooks.” She said and he held a hand out to shake hers and she did so confused

“Who are you?” she asked him wondering why I was freaking out.

“I’m Than’s father.” He said and she yanked her hand back from his and tightened her grip on me like he was going to drag me away and kill me himself

“You aren’t welcome here.” Uncle Ethan came out of the house and it was like they all closed rank around me, shielding me from him

“I’m here to talk to Addison.” He said