Chapter 19

POV Maya

When Chris killed me in the game I know he didn't know me really and I didn't know him. Though it still seemed that in his eyes he was trying to remember. I was trying to but I don't think I would be able to if I really tried.

Everybody now knows that Chris is a Hacker. I have heard of them but I think they aren't that bad. They are just trying to fight for what they believe in. That's fine with me. I try to do that all the time.

Right before the game starts all the the people that are participating meet each other. Some people even tell the programmers to put each other in a group. I am from the South of America. Chris is from the North of America. We met each other. We met each other the other years but we didn't know each other then.

The years before he seemed so ready for this. This year he seemed fidgety. He seemed nervous. I didn't know why? But now I do. Right after that last game he became a Hacker. It was probably to much for him to handle. He had won all the year before. I can't imagine what it feels like to kill everybody. Kill everybody you love.

Right now I am walking to see how he is doing. He probably doesn't remember anything still. The creators want to give him his memories when they figure everything out.

I know I am not supposed to be going to see him but I just want to. I won't be able to after this. I will have to go back to the South or America.

He was the only one that was kind to me. I saw his sister, who also had blonde hair like him, and she looked at me and started laughing. Then punched her in the shoulder and came over to me. I have always wondered why she started laughing. Maybe Chris talked about me to his sister.

He would smile that amazing smile and hug me. He would always say, 'How ya doing Maya?' and I would always respond,'Ya know the usual, wanting to see you.' Then we would giggle. The leaders don't let us communicate to each other. I don't know why because wouldn't that be helping the side come together if two kid really wanted to talk to each other? I guess not. But both our families despise each other. I don't know why but they do.

Walking in these hallways are familiar. I have gone here before. I knew somebody else that was a hacker. My brother. My brother fell prey to all little voices around him in the world saying we don't need this. My question is what would happen if we didn't have this? Would America be separated still? I don't know.

I stop at the end of the hallway. I am at the door. It has the sign on it like usual to remind that there is a Hacker in the room.

The ones with their names are the ones to blame.

I put my hand on the nob and look through the window. His is on the padded floor curled up in a ball. Well that isn't good. I open the door quickly.

When he sees me his eyes close. I go to the floor and shake him. Nothing. I poke him in the shoulder. Nothing.

After a little while of shaking there is no result. I really didn't want to do this but I have to. I raise my hand and smack him on the cheek. His eyes grow wide. He sits up. He wears a straighter jacket to restrict him from moving his arms. He breaths in quick sharp breaths. Then slow out-take breaths.

"Are you okay?" He nods. "Do you know who I am." He looks at me and gives me a look.

"Of course I remember you." I smiles.

"Do you remember anything? Other than you being in the game? I means it's okay if you don't because you're not supposed to yet." He just look at me for a second. Not saying a word. But I can see in his eyes that he has plenty of things to say.

"Nope. Only remember what happened at the city." He looks disappointed."Where am I?" He looks around.

"Um you are in headquarters."

"In Ithaca?" How did he know that?

"Yeah." He looks very calm right now. A little while ago he was crazy but now he just looks at me with calm eyes. Very weird. "This is where they take people like you."

"Just say what I am Maya." At that moment he would be moving his arms to cross them but because he is in a straight suit they are already crossed.

"Fine. This is where they...they put Hackers." He nods looking serious.

"That's what I am." He lays on his back and looks at the glass up above. He closes his eyes after a little while."Do you ever wonder what my mind has in it?"

"What are you talking about?" I lay right next to him and close my eyes too. I don't like that people at observing him like that. He doesn't deserve this.

"I mean. Do you ever wonder what my mind has in it?" Why is he asking me this?

"No I don't."

"Are you sure?"

"Why would I be wondering about your brain and what's in it? He laughs.

"Because I have so much to offer."

"Now what are you talking about?"

"Information." I open my eyes to see he has been staring at me the whole time.

"I thought you said that you don't remember anything?" He ignores the question.

"I can give you so much information."

"What do you know?" I stand up.

"Everything."

I back away and start to open the door. He sits up and keeps a straight face.

"Everything. Everything. Everything. Everything..." He keeps on saying that. Then he tilts his head. I open the door more and step out but when I do that he stop chanting that word and says something else."I can show you anything you want about anything. I can show you about how the war started. I can show you why our families don't like each other." The he goes back to saying,'Everything'. He has gone crazy. And he was lying when he said he didn't remember anything. As he has been chanting, he remembers everything.

I shut the door. When I shut the door I look through the window and see he is smirking. He is staring right at me. Then he starts to scream with an angry face. I stop looking at him. This year has really changed him. It seems not for the good.

I start walking and then I see Chris's sister coming towards me."Hey Mikayla. Are you going to see Chris?" She nods. Mikayla really looks like Chris but just a female. Has the same blonde hair.

"Yeah. I just want to say goodbye to him before I might not be able to."

I bite my lip."Um well I just went into there and he is...not himself."

"Does he have memories?" I nod.

"I don't think it's helping him. I guess he became a hacker like two years ago. Right after that one when he was 14 years old. That was a tough year for him." She nods.

Somehow that year he got his all his memories back so he remember that Mikayla was his sister. She was the last he had to kill. And with his memories back it was harder for him to kill her. It made him very traumatized when he came back. When we wake up we wake up on bed and we are strapped in. For him that day I heard when he woke up and he ripped off the straps and started running around the building. People tried to stop him but just he just kept running. After a few hours they found him curled up in a ball crying. It was a sad time for him Mikayla said to me.

"Well good luck." We hug and we part.

*sorry if there were a lot of mess ups.*