Chapter 26/Choosing

It has been two weeks since we got sent into this room and we haven't been let out. People have come in, to tell us what to do with our computers. What code to type in.

I asked one question why we had to do all these things and why you won't tell us anything. When I did that I know now it was a stupid idea. The person I asked the question to came up to me. He just stands there. And I just stand there. In silence. Then when I thought he wasn't going to do anything he kicked me and I fell to the floor. He smirks and kicked me again. Then he left just like that. How can anybody put up with this? It's horrible. I am betting in not the only one to ask a question. Maybe I am. These people around me seem not as strong willed as I might be.

After that question I asked I just kept doing my job. I think they thought I was going to rebel again because the next time the people came in they brought more security like maybe I was going to attack for real.

These two weeks we have been waiting for something. They told us something was going to happen but they say what. I have a feeling it isn't good. I don't think it's just some new type of technology. Today is the day they will tell us.

So, me and Eva get in the spot we usually sit for our computer stuff and wait. A little while ago when I saw Eva in the game she looked like she had something to live for. Now when I see her, I just see hopelessness. She has nothing to live for in her eyes. She has no family. She can't Hack by free will. And most importantly is she doesn't have Dylan. Dylan was taken away from her by from the people she works for. Nowadays when we talk she usually just trails off and then looks into the distance.

I don't know how she feels really. I wish I did so I could say what other people say,'I know how you feel,' except I would to hear somebody say that, that doesn't know how I feel. I wish I knew how it feels like so we could both go through out pain together. What would my pain be about? My family? Probably not knowing that my father beat me. My friends. Maybe. But whom? Maria? No I don't think she cares about me anymore so it would be hard for me to care about her. Maya? Yes. She would be the one. If something happened to her I don't know what I would do.

Then I hear the door creak open. I see three people in white lab coats. Two girls and one man. Then I see five security guards. Four men and one woman. They all go on this little stage in the front of the big room.

I see one of the woman scientists walk up to the microphone. She look nervous. Like we are going to attack her. I laugh at that little notion. Us? We are frail little kids that probably have never been taught a punch in their life. Well I know I have before. I once got in a fight with Robert Barr once. It was right after my first game. He was pissed off that I one and he didn't. He tried to punch me but in the end, because I was pretty small, I ducked a few time and then I got a lot of punches. I won the fight and we actually became friend because he thought I had guys for standing up to him like that.

"Today marks a week before the game in March." Are we supposed to clap? "We have selected some of you to help us with this game. The people we pick will be people that have no idea what to expect. So that means people that have been in this game before will not be picked." I hear a few sighs of relief."Being in this room not only showed how long you can stay while working but also showed your skills." How did typing in some random numbers and letter show out skills? "You might be wondering how this shows your skills?" Yes I am.

"Well we prohibited you from looking at other people's screens. That was so you didn't copy anybody. A lot of you did the normal code but then there were these few that really stood out. They took very smart short cuts to get to where they wanted to go." while she talks I notice that Neha is in the background listening to speech. She notices me so I go back at looking at the stage."We will tell the names by scoring lowest to highest. These are also the people that will be coming with us to help us." She backs away and the man scientist takes her spot.