Chapter 33

I continued walking along the side of the road. I don't even know why, I could walk in the middle if I wanted. I think my old habits have stuck with me. Thinking of these habits made think about my past time with this group. All my time spent with them and now it seems like it's slowly falling apart. With Murphy going rouge and trying to create his new world order, and 10k being forced to join him it seems like our group won't last longer. "what am I thinking, we have a strong enough bond to stick together. Right? Yeah, we will stick together till we all die." I also gained habits during the apocalypse, one of which was talking to myself outloud. I already did this before, but now I do it a lot more. It's comforting. There is always someone there to talk to even if it's myself. I was quickly pulled out of my thoughts by a sound, almost like crying, but high pitched, like a young baby. I turn my head towards the woods where the sound was coming from, and here a quiet female voice, "shh, dont cry you're safe." This brought back memories from when I was alone.
*flashback*
I was sleeping in the master bedroom, Aj sleeping in a crib next to the bed, softly snoring in a deep sleep. Thus peacefulness resting on the house did not last long, as I was soon stirred from my sleep by the smell of smoke. I jumped out of the bed grabbed Aj gently, and my bag. I threw my bag out the second story window and slid down the awning landing safely on the ground Aj still peacefully sleeping in my arm. I slung my bag over my shoulder and ran. Murphy has been sending minions after me for weeks to kill me. He recognized how much of a threat I was to him. I had found an underground bunker and used it as a hideout between burning houses. I new where it was like the back of my hand and got there in less than 10 minutes. I set down my bag and quickly opened the door. Throwing my bag down first, the climbing down didn't take long either, even with Aj in my arms it didn't slow me down. Balancing on the top rungs of the ladder I close the door and climb the rest of the way down. "Finally safe," I say breathing à sigh of relief. I lay Aj down in his small carrier I had stored down here along with a good amount of food rations. "I might as well spend my time wisely." I grab a bat and some packaged barbed wire I had in my bag and continued to wrap the wooden bat with barbed wire. Right as I finish the new weapon I hear the door of the bunker slam. Immediately my senses are back on full alert and I am watching the tunnel that leads into this dimly lit room. The light source was from the hallway, so I would be able to se any intruders before they see me. I hear soft foot steps then gun fire, I feel burning pain in my arm and thigh and I hear Aj cry out, not in pain just annoyance. I fall back against the wall in pain. The footsteps become louder and three people enter the room. "Get the kid and let's go," the one in the center commands the other two.
"But, what about her?" the one on the left asks.
"Her, leave her. She will bleed out soon enough." the first man says. He thinks I'll bleed out, yeah right. One of the men grabs Aj and they all leave me here to die. I wasn't done yet though I crawl to Aj's carrier and rip off some of the material. I wrap it around my arm first, the bullet went through it so it would take the least amount of time and pain.
*end flashback*
I am pulled out of my memory by someone calling my name.
"Hey, you OK? You were just standing there all zoned out," Doc says waving waving a hand in front of my tear stained face. I quickly wipey tears, carry on walking and say "Yeah, fine we have somewhere to go right. Let's get to our 5 mile mark before the sun sets."

A/N: You thought I forgot about Aj huh, well nope you finally get an explanation.

Song of the chapter:
Seventeen- Don't wanna cry