Chapter 4 (Four Years Later)

FAITH POV: "You ready for this?" Scott says, handing me the mic. 

"I think so..." I say doubtfully. 

"You're going to do amazing." Scott reassures me. 

"If you say so...." I say as the announcer starts to introduce me. 

"Next up is country sweetheart, Audrey Perry! She is attending Belmont University for a Recording Arts degree. Give it up for Audrey!" They say. My hands shake as I walk out. This is horrifying.... There are as many people in this arena as there are in my town.... 

"Hi y'all." I say, trying not to sound like I'm going to pee myself. The crowd cheers, making me feel a bit better. "Well if you don't mind, I guess I'll be singing a song." I laugh. They cheer again. The band starts to play the song I wrote. I knew I should've sang a cover song first! The crowd doesn't know what this song even is...

"They said change your clothes, she said no I won't. They said comb your hair, she said some kids don't, and her parents dreams went up in smoke." I stumble through. I just want this set to be over already...

"They said you can't leave, she said yes I will. They said don't see him, she said his name is Bill. She's on a roll and it's all uphill. She's a wild one with an angel's face. She's a woman-child in a state of grace. When she was 3 years old on her daddy's knee, he said you can be anything you want to be. She's a wild one runnin' free." I belt out. The crowd cheers, making me smile. Maybe I can do this...

"She loves Rock and Roll, they said it's Satan's tongue. She thinks they're too old, they think she's too young, and the battle lines are clearly drawn." I sing with more heart. I start to really feel the song.

"She has future plans and dreams at night. When they tell her life is hard she says that's alright!" I belt, then return to the chorus. The crowd gives me a standing ovation as I wrap up the song. 

"Wow... Thank you!" I say, taken aback a bit. This feeling is incredible. It's like a tingling sensation. I can't get enough of it! "Here's the next song I'm gonna sing tonight. It's a song my friend had actually written a few months ago. So here it is!" I say. The crowd claps as the music starts to play. 

Backstage, Scott meets me with a giant hug and smile. 

"That was badass." He says, expecting nothing less. 

"I'm shaking!" I say, holding out my hand for him to see. It wobbles in the open for a while until he holds it between his own hands

"You should be! That was electrifying." He laughs, and then proceeds to drag me to my dressing room. He closes and locks the door behind him as I fall onto the couch giggling. He jumps ontop of me, causing me to let out a little playful shriek. He starts to kiss my neck. 

"Too soon..." I say, my voice falling flat. I begin to make a little distance between us so he can see that I'm serious. 

"Alright." He says, getting up and walking to the counter. 

"I'm sorry..." 

"No, I get it." He says, picking up the crystal glass off the counter and staring at it. 

"I just..... can't." I try to explain. 

"Audrey, I understand." He says. "You don't need to explain." He lets out a little smile, telling me that he's not angry. 

"I wish I could..."

"And someday you will." He says, coming back over and wrapping his arms around me. I curl up in his arms, trying to forget about the past. "It's unfair to you... I mean, what they did was..."