Chapter 40

TIM POV: Faith lays beside the crushed car, injured and bleeding to death. I'm helpless. She's can't respond to me. Her eyes are now shut. I'm literally watch the girl who, to me, has been an angel suffer. I can't take her out of her pain. I can't get her help. I can just watch. 

I sit beside her and smooth back her hair. I fucking hate them. The guy who left her here, Michael, Carrie, all of them. This wasn't supposed to happen this way. I look up at the highway, now packed with cars. If only they'd look down.... I get an idea and get in the car through a broken window. I lay on the horn for minutes. People start to look down. 

Finally, half an hour later, someone pulls over and finds her. Soon the cars multiply. Someone attempts to resuscitate her. 

"Come on baby..." I say. They listen for a pulse. 

"We got one!" The person yells. Someone else is on the phone with 9-1-1. The man who conducted CPR checks for any fixable injuries. Her head is cracked badly. You can see right through a large abrasion on her skull, revealing her brain. He cringes, and lightly tilts her head. "I'm so sorry sweetheart." He says to her. I am too... 

An ambulance finally arrives and takes her to Vanderbilt hospital.

"She's sleeping" The doctors tell the girls. They're smart enough to understand what really is going on. Michael looks sadly through her window, not wanting to come in the room. Each of the girls have cycled in to stay a night with her. They are aware that they could loose her. 

"If she does wake up," Another doctor says. "she could have severe amnesia. She may not even know who she is. Her scans show brain damage. It's just hard to tell where she will be affected." The girls all cry, knowing that she might waking up, not knowing who they are. My heart breaks as I watch them from inside Faith's room. 

"Faith, you have to wake up..." I say softly. "Please... Just wake up..." 

"Tim?" I hear an angel's voice behind me. It's her. For a moment I'm relieved to hear her voice. Then I quickly begin to panic. 

"Honey..." I start. Before I can continue, she runs towards me and wraps her arms around me. She starts to wail. 

"What did I ever do...." She says, her words muffled on my chest. I can feel her heat, so I know she's not dead. "I'm scared."

"It's okay baby." I say, allowing myself to calm her. 

"What if I don't wake up?" She asks me, slowly pulling away. I wipe her tears. 

"Whatever will be, will be. You can't change a thing, honey." I say. She nods and pulls herself together. 

"I can't leave those girls, Tim." She says, sounding much more calm. I nod, knowing that she really can't leave them. As of right now, the girls would go to Michael... 

Faith has been sitting beside me and staring at herself for hours. I rub her back, to try and comfort her, but she's still horrified. Luckily, Betty shows up to take care of the girls. They all give her somber hugs. Michael and her just exchange awkward handshakes. Ma has never been very fond of him. 

"What do you think the girls would say if they saw both of us sitting here?" Faith asks curiously. 

"I don't know. I wish they could see us though." I say, shooting Faith a small smile. She looks down at her free hand and studies it. 

"What if I do wake up and I don't remember anything?" She asks. I take a deep breath... I don't know, to be honest. 

"Then we'll work through it." I answer. The thought of her not remembering me has not even came to me yet. She can't forget me...