Chapter 14

FAITH POV: I'm downstairs folding laundry when Tim stumbles down the stairs. He mumbles a few cuss words as he struggles to make it through the kitchen. 

"Hungover?" I say, as he begins to look shameful. 

"I'm sorry..." He says, rubbing his head.

"You've slept through most of the day. The kids should be getting home from school any minute now." I say. 

"What?" He says sounding surprised. "What time is it?" He panics. 

"Three thirty." I say. He punches the counter. 

"Fuck!" He screams, then exhales heavily. 

"What?" I ask, shocked at his reaction. 

"I just missed an important appointment." He says. 

"I know. Your mom called saying that you were supposed to go in at ten." I reply. 

"Why didn't you wake me up?" He says, sounding frustrated. 

"Because she called me at one. It was a little late by then." I say, trying to avoid conflict. "I went ahead and rescheduled you for tonight at five." I say. He sighs of relief. 

"Thank you." He says, coming over and leaning against the washer. "So what are you up to?" 

"Just laundry." I say, hoping he doesn't try to pursue me again. I wonder what she looked like. God, I need to stop thinking about that... 

"Can you come with me tonight?" He asks shyly. 

"Sure. If you really want me to." I answer. 

"This is just scary stuff, you know?" 

"It's going to be fine." I say. "I promise."

"Alright..." He says, taking a deep breath. "Well, you want to get ready to leave soon?" 

"Sure. Once the kids get home we can go ahead and head out." I say. He nods and goes upstairs to get changed. He might be the most difficult man in history, but I do really love him. Call me love-blind. 

The girls have gotten home and settled in as Tim and I head off to the doctors. Betty has come over to watch the girls while we go. 

"So what do you think they're going to do?" He asks, rubbing his palms together. 

"Rip out your brains." I say sarcastically. He's so nervous about nothing. 

"What if they find something?" He says seriously. 

"Then we will go from there." I answer. He nods and bites his lip. He's had to fast for over six hours, so he's definitely not up for dealing with anything unnecessary. We pull into the hospital parking lot, and I can feel his anxiety go through the roof. "Honey, calm down. It's just a check up." I say. He nods. 

"With dad.... I just-" he starts, then looks at me with sad eyes. I'm getting a heavy feeling that something could be wrong.

We walk in and head up to the cancer treatment floor. We stand in silence in the elevator, joined by a cancer patient. She looks mid eighty's... 

Tim's hand is clamped tightly onto mine. His knuckles are turning white by the time we finish checking in. 

"Breathe." I whisper to him. 

"I'm trying." He says shakily. I feel a tight pain in my chest when I look over at him. He's tapping his foot on the floor and tapping the folder of papers in his lap with his free hand. The other is still clenching onto my hand.