Chapter 18

FAITH POV: Tim is breaking my heart tonight. Why does he have to go?

He starts to sing It's Your Love, which is guaranteed to make me sob like a child. I wish there was something we could do... I just feel so helpless. Mostly because, I am in this situation. Chemo isn't going to help any, and neither are the clinical trials. We are just waiting now. Waiting...

"And who I am now is who I wanted to be. Now that we're together, I'm stronger than ever. I'm happy and free." We sing. He keep looking over to me and smiling, making me cry harder. I wonder if he's doing it on purpose, since he knows how much of a cry baby I am. 

"Oh, it's a beautiful thing, don't think I can keep it all in. I just gotta let you know, what it is that won't let me go... It's your love, it just does somethin' to me, it sends a shock right through me, I can't get enough. And if you wonder about the spell I'm under, It's your love." We sing. We finish the song, and are met with a standing ovation. Tim points to me. 

"Everybody give it up for my wife, Faith Hill!" He says, looking at me with loving eyes. He loves performing with me, and I love performing with him. I don't know what I'm going to do once he's gone... 

"Give a big hand for my husband, Tim McGraw." I say. He soaks it in as the camera goes out and we get off the stage. We are just in time to watch the ball drop on the TV. I look at him. "Maybe we should head back soon." I say, acting flirty. He smiles. 

"Let me check." He says running over to his manager. He runs back over with a disapointed face. 

"I gotta stay back and do some interviews and publist crap." He says. "I'm going to be here till like four." He frowns. 

"Alright, do you want me to just meet you back at the house?" I say. He nods. 

"Sure." He says, handing me the keys. "Wait up for me?" 

"I'll try, just hurry home cowboy." I say. He smiles and gives me a kiss. 

"You want me to walk you out?" He asks. I think for a moment. 

"Nah. I should be fine." I say. He smiles. 

"Well, if anyone tries to mug you," he says, "just show them your left hook." I smile and blow him a kiss as I walk out to the parking garage. I spot our car and get in, without getting mugged. I pull out of the gargage and turn the radio on. 

"Here's a new single from new Country Superstar, Carrie Underwood. This is called Wasted." The DJ says. It only takes me a few second to realize the girl singing on the radio is the same one who went on before Tim. She's incredible. 

It starts to snow on the already icy roads. The snow floats down gentley, before coming down in full blizzard force. I turn up the heat, feeling the cold inside the car. At a red light, I grab Tim's jacket out of the back and put in on. I hate driving in the snow, and it looks like I have about an hour of driving on shit roads ahead of me. I see a few snowplows on the side of the road, not plowing. God that irritates me. 

My tires begin to slip as I leave downtown. I'm feeling extraordinarily edgy right now. Normally Tim drives when it's like this.

A snowplow comes barrelling at me from nowhere, driving me off the road. I run through a few bushes, sliding after I hit the breaks. I try to get back on the road, but I overshoot and hit a tree on the other side. My head slams on the steering wheel as the seat belt jerks me back. I try to take it off, but it is jammed. It begins to cut into my flesh as I feel blood on my head. 

"Breathe..." I say to myself. "Breathe..." I can feel myself blacking out, but I need to stay awake. What if nobody knows that I crashed? I'm now in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night during a snowstorm. I push against the seat belt, causing stabbing pain as I reach to the passenger seat for my phone. I get it to see a large crack down the screen, but it still works. I dial 9-1-1. 

"9-1-1, what is your emergency?" The dispatcher says. It's a female. 

"I hit a tree..." I say, sounding like I'm zoning out. 

"Alright ma'm. Where are you located?" The woman asks. 

"South of Nashville..." I say feeling my eyelids getting heavy. 

"Where south of Nashville?"

"Off of 155..." My head falls back, feeling as heavy as a ton. 

"We will have Police and an ambulance with you in no time Ma'm." She says. I start to close my eyes when I start to think about Tim. "Just stay with me-" The woman begins as I hang up. Police are on their way, so I should be okay, I tell myself. I dial Tim's number. It rings five times before sending me to voice-mail. 

"Hey, this is Tim! Leave a mess-" I hang up and dial again. "Hey, this is Tim-" I hang up and try dialing one more time. 

"Hello?" he answers on the third ring. I start to cry. 

"Baby..."

"Honey, what's wrong?" He says, immediately alarmed. 

"I got in a wreck..." Is all I manage to say. 

"Did you call 9-1-1?" He asks. 

"Yeah... They're coming..." 

"Okay, just stay on the phone with me honey. Where are you?" He asks. To be honest, I don't know. 

"Just off of 155." I know that I just got off the highway, but I don't know what street I'm on, or better yet, what town I'm in. I just know I'm on the route to home. 

"Okay, I'm getting Gary to drive me to the hospital. I'll meet you there. Just stay on the line, okay?" He says. I can hear the nervousness in his voice. The urge to rest my eyes is unimaginable. 

"Tim, I'm passing out..." I say, panicking.

"Don't. Faith, stay awake. Do you understand?" 

"I-" I close my eyes and feel the phone slip from my hands. 

"Faith, are you okay?" He asks, but I don't answer. "Faith?" He says, yet again, without answer. "Baby?"