CHAPTER 1

"you accent gave you away"

TWO weeks had passed by since I bought the plane ticket to London. I searched cheap apartments I could rent and local stores. I successfully applied and turned in all possible applications. Once I finished doing that, I bought my plane ticket. It wasn't a cheap start but I knew I'd start having an income soon. The money I had been saving for three years helped me out a lot. Mom also gave me an envelope that contained my name written in dad's handwriting. It was as if dad knew I'd be making this decision all this time, even with him gone.

"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Charles de Gaulle Airport." I jolted awake as I heard Gaulle. I had slept the entire flight.

"Shit." I said under my breathe as I tried unbuckling.

"For your safety and comfort, please remain seated with your seat belt fastened until the Captain turns off the Fasten Seat Belt sign. This will indicate that we have parked at the gate and that it is safe for you to move about."

I blushed as I stopped struggling to unbuckle once I heard the flight attendants warning.

"Please check around your seat for any personal belongings you may have brought on board with you and please use caution when opening the overhead bins, as heavy articles may have shifted around during the flight."

My purse was around my shoulder and neck. Nothing was missing inside except my phone and headphones. I checked my pocket to see if my phone was in there. "Check." I whispered as I patted the phone. "Headphones... where.." I continued to whisper to myself. They had somehow gone inside my blouse. "Oh." I finished saying as you pulled them from underneath. "They must've slipped inside while I slept" I thought to myself.

"If you require deplaning assistance, please remain in your seat until all other passengers have deplaned. One of our crew members will then be pleased to assist you. You may now unbuckle from your seat"

"Finally." I thought as I unbuckled and slowly rose from my seat.

"On behalf of United Airlines and the entire crew, I'd like to thank you for joining us on this trip and we are looking forward to seeing you on board again in the near future. Have a nice stay!"

"No turning back...Of course not (y:n), what am I even thinking. Why am I nervous..." I thought as I bumped into the person ahead of me.

"I'm sorry." I said as the man turned to glare at me.

"Okay then..." I replied at his glare as I bit my lower lip.

I always had the habit of biting my lower lip when I was nervous. It wasn't a good habit either. I almost always made my lip bleed because of it.

"Sorry, excuse me." I repeatedly said in a low voice as I continued to move around the crowd heading towards their luggage.

After successfully finding my luggage I moved towards the exit doors. I could see the rain clouds in the distance as I stepped outside. Instantly I felt the cool breeze hit my cheeks. I let out a sigh. "At least it's rain clouds and not snow." I said as I fixed my ear warmers.

I stood at the edge waiting for the next taxi to show, I pulled out the piece of paper with my new address out from my purse.

"Good afternoon, may I help you with that?" the guy from the taxi asked as he approached me.

"Uh, yes, please." I replied as I handed him my luggage. "Thank you." I finished saying.

As the taxi guy closed the hood I settled inside.

"Where to?" taxi guy asked.

"Tokyngton Avenue HB9 in Wembley"

"Okay, it's not that far away." taxi guy said as he drove off.

I smiled and nodded. Wembley was just half an hour away from London which is why I chose it in the first place. "Perfect." I thought.

After a few minutes of silence taxi guy commented on the weather. "Isn't the weather lovely." He remarked.

"More lovely than the snow I left behind." I said as I looked up and smiled. He chuckled at my comment.

"Very well." He simply said.

A moment of silence followed before I heard taxi guy ask me a question.

"You're not from around here are you?"

"Oh, no. Today will be my first day here." I replied wondering how'd he know.

"Are you visiting?" He continued.

"I'm moving here actually."

"Really? Well, you chose the perfect town right outside of London. I think it'll suit you nicely."

"I'm glad, thank you." I said still wondering what gave me away. Curiously I asked him.

"How'd you know I'm not from here?"

He chuckled. "You're staring out the window and looking at what's outside like it's the first time you've ever seen it."

So it was my face expression, I thought as the sound of his voice broke off the silence.

"And your accent gave you away." He chuckled as I mentally face palmed my idiotic self. More silence. A few minutes passed by and the town began to grow bigger as I got closer. "Almost there." I faintly heard taxi guy say.

After a few left and right turns I saw the familiar structure of the Hexagon apartments.

"Here."