CHAPTER 9

"I met someone"

THE meal Jamy had served left me feeling sleepy. I had closed my eyes almost instantly once I got in the cab but didn't manage to sleep.

"Here we are." Taxi guy said in a low voice.

I opened my eyes, smiled, and paid him. Not ready to head back into the cold. I opened the door with the staircase that led to my apartment.

"Damn you stairs." I mumbled as I began to make my way towards the second floor. Just as I entered, I set my purse on the kitchen counter. I grabbed my phone from my coat and dialed mom as I threw myself on the couch.

"it's late (y:n), is everything okay?"

"just wanted to check in." I sighed into the phone.

"I met someone."

"If you're lying to me (y:n) I will pull your hair next time I see you."

I laughed.

"His name is Lucas."

"I'm listening." I heard mom shuffle around.

"The day I called you, I went to a library. Lucas was the librarian there."

"Well, is he hot or not?"

"Oh my goodness mother!"

"Is he?"

"Yes."

"How hot?"

I could swear I was talking to a 17 year old and not my own mother.

"He has black hair, stunning blue eyes, sharp jawline, and such broad shoulders. He's handsome mama."

"Ask him out."

"What?"

"Did I stutter?"

I know mom rolled her eyes. I rolled them back at her even though she couldn't see me.

"No."

"(y:n)."

I groaned.

"Mom."

"Are you done with the book so you can get your ass back into that library?"

"I'm almost done..." I trailed off playing with a button on my coat.

"Go back and make conversation with him. Let him want to take you out."

"It's too soon." I closed my eyes and rubbed my left eye with my free hand.

"If I hadn't pushed your dad on that bed —"

"OKAY! Okay, jeez." I cringed.

I heard my mom laugh.

"He's too pretty for me, so don't be upset if I don't get a date." I warned.

"You're sense of humor is quiet the entertainment."

"Is that a compliment or an insult?"

"Mija, you're beautiful. You'll get a date."

I breathed out.

"Well sweetie I'm going back to bed. I have to wake up early tomorrow. Finish that book young lady and get yourself a date. I love you."

I giggled. "Okay mama, love you."

I got up from the couch and went to my room. I set my phone on the night stand and put it to charge. I got out of my clothes, grabbed my towel, and headed into the shower room.I spent a good half an hour standing under hot boiling water. When I finally decided to finish washing and scrubbing I stepped out. Steam had covered the entire shower room, I passed my hand through the mirror. I grabbed my tooth brush and began brushing away. The minty taste of toothpaste lingering while I combed my hair. I grabbed the moisturizer and spread it over my body afterwards.

I opened the door and turned to go into my room. I walked up to my closet. I pulled out my black cheeky panties and slipped them on not caring to put on a bra. If my boobs were smaller I wouldn't wear bras. Period. I grabbed my black sweats and an oversized salmon t-shirt dad used to wear.I went over to my night stand and pressed the home button on my phone, the screen lit up. I saw a text Ava had sent me just a few minutes ago. I unplugged my phone and crawled into bed. I opened the message Ava had sent.

Ava // 8:53 pm
"Darling, please tell me you're single."

I froze.