CHAPTER 7

"I'm teasing darling"

AFTER paying for the cab I headed towards the stairs that led to Ava's home, knocking on the mahogany door. 

"Good afternoon." I smiled at Ava as she appeared between the threshold of her home. 

"Hi darling, come on in." She waved her hand as she bent down to grab one of her heels.

"How was the drive?" She asked, still bent over.

"It was good." I began to take my coat off.

"Kiddos are in the living room." She said as she stood back up and began to walk. I walked right behind her. As we entered the living room I saw Juli reading a book. Mason looked up from where he sat.

"(y:n)!" He yelled as a smile formed across his face. Mason was in front of me in no time.

"Hi buggie" I said as I picked Mason up with a grunt.

"I missed you." Mason said as he laid his head down on my shoulder. My tummy fluttered. I felt a pair of arms around my waist. I looked down to see Juli hugging me.

"Hi sweetie." I said as I wrapped my free arm around her.

"wow, I'm jealous." Ava said with a chuckle. I laughed at her remark as I set Mason back down. Juli and Mason went back to their spots.

"I wanted to give you this." Ava said.

I turned my head towards her and looked down at her hand. She held a key.

"Is this?"

"Yea." She smiled.

"I mean, why not? It'd be a lot easier if you could just walk in." She finished.

I took the key from her hand.

"Are you sure?" I said. Feeling the cold key against my palm.

"Hm, you're not planning to throw any type of parties are you?" Ava said, pretending to be concerned.

"No, I —"

"I'm teasing darling." She waved me off. "I know you wouldn't do such thing." She smiled.

I appreciated that Ava completely trusted me.

"It's only your second day, I'm aware, but I planned on giving my tutor a key regardless."

I nodded as I followed her out the living room into the kitchen.

"Thank you." I sighed.

"No problem." She said as she grabbed a piece of paper from the table.

"I should've given you these yesterday but I completely forgot. The first cell number is Jamy's and the other one is Thomas's." She said as she handed me the paper.

"I gave them your number too."

"Oh, okay. Thank you." I swallowed. I had Thomas's number, he had mine. What the actual f — I looked up at Ava who had crossed her arms and was grinning.

What was she grinning for?

"They should pick up if you dial in case of emergency."

In case of emergency, right, I thought.

"Besides you, Jamy and Tommy also have a spare key." She smiled at the mention of Thomas. I could feel my heart beat faster as the thought of Thomas sharing the same key crossed my mind.