CHAPTER 12

"dear, it had to be done"

JULI and Mason couldn't hide their excitement.

"We're going out to dinner with mommy, uncle tommy, and you!" They yelled, with smiles taking over their sweet face. I couldn't help but giggle.

I turned down Lucas' offer for this Saturday, but we agreed on going out on a date a week from tomorrow and I couldn't wait until. As for dinner with Thomas, I was nervous. I was completely nervous and I was dreading tomorrow night. The only reason I agreed to go was, well, because the kids would be there and I'd have them and Ava to make conversation with. I knew they'd make me feel comfortable. I just hoped I didn't get the chair next to Thomas.

"Your cheeks are red." I heard Mason say as he pointed at my cheeks.

Great, I blushed just thinking about sitting next to Thomas. I can't imagine how I'm going to look when I actually sit in the same table as him.

I sighed. "Your cheeks are red too." I lied to Mason.

"No they're not." He giggled.

I smiled back at Mason.

"Uncle Tommy's cheeks get red a lot like yours do." Juli spoke.

"Do they?" I asked.

"Yea." She giggled.

"Why do they get red?" Mason asked.

"It's called blushing." I swallowed.

"rougir."

"rougir." Mason repeated.

"Good! You're getting so much better at this!" I reached over, poking Mason's tummy playfully.

"I'm finished!" Juli said as she moved her homework back and forth in her hand.

"Are you going to wear a dress tomorrow?" Juli asked, her eyes sparkling.

"Mm I think so." I said.

"Please wear a dress, you'll look so beautiful."

"Wear a dress with me." I told Juli.

She giggled. "I totally will."

I don't own a single dress, I thought to myself. I had only packed a pencil skirt not a dress. I'd have to go shopping. After getting up from the table, I got a text as we walked into the living room. I smiled at my phone screen.

Lucas // 5:19 pm
"If you ever quit your job, I'll hire you to help me out here."

I shook my head and looked over at Juli and Mason who were sitting next to each other watching television. I smiled. I wouldn't trade them for anything. Not even for the smell of books. I sat next to Mason and texted Lucas back.

(y:n) // 5:20 pm
"Mm thank you for the offer. I'll keep it in mind."

Just as I sent the text I received a picture from Lucas. He wore his glasses and was scrunching his face. I smiled at the fact that  I seriously felt like a potato next to him. Mason had leaned his head into my arm so I decided to snap a picture of him instead of me. I sent it to Lucas.

Lucas // 5:22 pm
"Lucky guy, I'm jealous! 🤓"

I mustered a laughing, sending him a reply.

(y:n) // 5:22 pm
"Don't be 👓📚🧔🏻" I replied.

Lucas // 5:23 pm
"Wow, nerdy book guy?"