36. A little thing called love

"His smile.
His smirk.
His laugh.
His existence.
Him."

-The Golden Girl

************************************

"Why are you doing this to me Faye? I am losing my mind, I look like a lost puppy around you. You are doing what autumn does to the leaves. I am falling Faye, hard."

Her eyes narrowed as soon as she heard those words that escaped from his mouth.

I am falling Faye, hard.

Her breathing stopped and she felt her cheeks burning. She felt a whole zoo inside her stomach and her throat went dry.

"Ha?" She looked at him with her warm blue eyes, trying to suppress a wide smile that was making its way to her lips.

Say that once again.

River found himself cursing under his breath.

Why the fuck did he say that out, loud enough for her to hear?

"What?" He asked her with a gulp, hoping that she would let it go.

And before she could explain it to him, Andrew walked up to them, wrapping his arm around Faye's shoulder.

"Faye, Xander and Conner wants to meet you. You know, River's cousins?" River watched as Faye walked away from there.

And for the first time, he was glad she did.
************************************

"You like him." Faye shifted her glare from the scenario to the girl who stood next to her with a devilish smirk on her face.

"Like... who?" Faye asked, stuttering, feeling a knot in her stomach.

"My brother... silly." Annalise said, laughing.

"Wha– what are you, talk–talking about?" Faye could already feel her burning cheeks.

"You have been glaring at them for the last fifteen minutes. Your hands are turned into fists and you look really really pissed. Trust me, I would not be surprised if you choke that girl to death." And Annalise pointed towards the dance floor where Faye was looking before.

There stood River with a brunette, dancing, smiling, laughing.

"Fucking jerk." Faye mumbled under her breath, her hands forming fists once again.

"See, that's what I was talking about." She could already feel Annalise's smirk growing.

"You like him Faye, you like him." Annalise laughed, making Faye gulp.

Does she like River?

Her heart pounded inside her chest as she cast an eye on him.

Do I like you?

Never had she felt the things that she was feeling for him. Never had she felt butterflies, sparks, goofy smiles.

Does she like him?

Her eyes went to the floor and she gulped.

She doesn't, she cannot.

She cannot love her best friend.

She cannot love him.

Excusing herself, she started to walk away from there.

She needed some time alone.